Cambridge Soundworks M50
Description: The M50 is the entry-level model in the new Newton M Series bookshelf speaker line. All of the speakers in this line feature the fine drivers, precision internal crossover designs and elegant enclosures. Great care has been taken in order to combine audiophile-level detail and reasonable cost. The M50 features a specially designed 5.25-inch woofer for midrange and a 1-inch silk fabric tweeter with Neodymium magnet structure for high frequencies. <br>The speakers may be positioned vertically or horizontally on any flat, stable surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to protect the finish of the speakers. The M50's can also be placed on optional brackets or stands. Whether used for music or incorporated into a home theater system, the M50's performance far exceeds their price. Available with knit grilles and in the same blonde maple and mahogany real-wood finishes as the Newton Series towers. Also available in slate.

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've owned this pair of M50's for many years. They started out as surrounds for my home theatre but I eventually replaced them with CSW The Surrounds. As surrounds they were okay but speaker placement was difficult for my setting. They have spent most of their use as a pair of desk speakers for my home office. They used to be driven by a Sony ES333 receiver but more recently by a Niles SI-275 amp.

I find these speakers to be excellent value for the money. I listen to a wide variety of music genres and they have not disappointed given their price point. I don't understand the comments about weak bass. For the size of the woofer they provide plenty of delivery. From my perspective the woofer is a bit boomy and lacks some clarity for the midrange which is why I give them 4 stars overall.

Submitted by trisweb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
I got these as display models from Fry's for cheap after I listened to them and they sounded pretty good (they're in great shape, nothing wrong with them), and I'm currently running them off a T-Amp for my main desk/computer speakers.

They're certainly very good little speakers, nothing at all specific wrong with them necessarily, they just don't have that realism or fullness that you'd expect from the top of the line. They are definitely better than anything you can get for under $100, but at their price I think you can find better. However, disregarding value they are great speakers for this size range.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by jdawgshox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
I researched these speakers for a long time, not wanting to spend money on a pair of speakers I would regret buying later. The M50's were in my budget already, but when I heard they went on sale I had to grab them.

Being a student of music and an overall music enthusiast (not quite yet an audiophile) I was merely looking for a pair of speakers that had good reproduction qualities and would fit in my small room. The M80's were an attractive option, but would be over-powering for the space I wanted to fill.

I dropped by the local CSW store for a quick test drive. At first listen I was quite dissapointed. The audio quality which I had become used to coming from the large wooofers during long rides in my car had spawned many poor listening habits. Being a "base-head" myself, I could appreciate the tight highs of the silk tweeters, but the output in the lower frequencies was utterly unimpressive. When I asked to listen to the M50's along with the 8" bass cube, I was stunned. The two together made a perfect combination. Anyone who plans to do serious listening with these speakers is, without a doubt, going to need a subwoofer to cover the lower frequencies. This is due to the comparatively small size of the M50's woofers. For those either shying away from the expense of a nice subwoofer, or anyone looking for bigger sound, the M80s are a better choice.

An advantage of the M50's (especially for those on a budget) is that they are relatively easy to power. Even a budget receiver should have enough juice to get these speakers bangin'. However, I decided to go with a more powerful Marantz stereo receiver which has way more than enough power to keep the M50's cranked up without any distortion and maintain a full sound field at lower volumes.

Overall, the M50's (to my ears) are wonderful speakers for the money. In fact, I have not heard better speakers for this price anywhere. Just make sure that you position them properly to get the best bass response and add a sub if you're looking to jam with some Bob Marley or just annoy the downstairs neighbors. I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to fill a small den or bedroom with high-quality audio.

Purchased At:   CSW

Submitted by sofsoldier1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the M50's along with the Newton 150watt subwoofer for me new computer. I like to build my own computers because I have not found the quality I demand from Dell, Gateway, et al. Anyway, I chose the new Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2 - a wonderfull soundcard that supports DVD Audio.

I bought a few DVD-A's and listened on my system, and the sound quality of this speaker set is outstanding. No matter the style of music, these speakers became "invisible" as I was enveloped in a wonderfull sound stage. I am not big on surround audio, so I listened to the DVD-A's with 2.1 sound.

Steely Dan's Gaslighting Abbey (Giant DVD-A) provided a nice snap in the sound. As a drummer, I particularly enjoyed the snap of the snare drum, and tight bass. There was no bleed in the mid-range with any of the sounds. Track 2 - What a Shame About Me - features a ride pattern that sounded to me as if the drumset was in the room with me. It was fantastic.

The Telarc DVD-A of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture is perhaps one of the most strenous of any music. This Eric Kunzel version feautures a full chorus during the beggining. I could hear very distinctly the separate voices within this chorus. The grand finale with the digital cannons were reproduced without that annoying "speaker pop." The M50's handled it beautifully.

The Barenboim DVD-A of Beethoven's 9th is drmatic enough to give you goose bumps for days. I could pick out every single instrument during the infamous Molto Vivace.

Finally, the Zephyr Voices Unbound DVD is perhaps the most difficult to reproduce. This vocal only group covers the full range of vocals, and was recorded direct to 24bit 92K. Again, the M50's reproduced the voices accuratly.

Just for curiosity, I replaced my main stereo speakers with these M-50's without the sub. Listening to my systems DVD-A player, I played the above disks again on my home system, and was blown away. I could not believe the amount of sound that came out of these puppies. And there was bass too! Granted, the sensitivity is a bit low, so I had to crank up the amp, but the sound was phenominal.

I reviewed the comments made below, and can only say that their system perhaps lacked the power to drive these speaker. Some speakers, after all, need more power to drive. When driven with enough power, these babies come alive.

I like these so much, I will replace every speaker in my home theater with these, and a sub-woofer. Of course, my current speakers are about 5 times as much, but I don't care.

Submitted by Nagorak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had some success with more expensive CSW speakers (M80s, MC500, S300s, etc) so I thought I'd give these a shot for use in one room of my house. Unfortunately I found these speakers to be very unimpressive.

Let me qualify that by saying I'm not sure it is the speakers' fault per se. For their size they are probably decent quality, but they didn't blow me away as being much better than similarly small sized speakers. And that's basically the crux of the problem: the speakers are just too small to sound very good. I know it is unfair to compare these speakers to the M80s and to full range tower speakers, but the truth is musically they just don't measure up. The best way I can describe it is these sound very squashed in comparison to my other speakers. The treble just isn't as high, the bass isn't as low, and instead everything is just sounds muddled like it's all been smashed together. The articulation just isn't there...

I haven't compared these speakers directly to any similarly sized bookshelf speakers, so I don't know how they stack up against the competition. What I do know is these speakers just aren't very impressive. It's probably just because they are small, but my advice is to avoid getting small speakers. Spend the extra $100 on a pair of M80s because they blow these things away and are well worth the extra money. Unless you absolutely can't afford anything better, buying the M50s or other tiny bookshelf speakers is not advisable.

As for myself I will be returning these and just going with another pair of M80s. I went for the M50s at first because the room in question is small and I thought the M80s might be "overkill". Unfortunately the inferior sound quality (not just volume) of the M50s proves that is definitely not the case.

Purchased At:   Ebay