Bose 201 Series IV
Description: 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker - 6.5" Woofer and 2" Ferrofluid Cooled Tweeter - 120 Watts

Submitted by audioarcheology a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have Bose 201 IV. I think I paid no more than a price of an average restaurant meal for them. Construction is OK. They are fairly small, so vibrations of thin walls are not as bad as in 301s, especially when seams are missing some glue. 6 1/2" driver actually has a cloth surround!!! I suspect (and others here confirm), that these don't really have any crossover network inside, typical Bose. "Woofer" cone suspension seems kinda stiff. They do not sound very efficient (seem to take more power than my other speakers). I find their highs too harsh and muddy (they don't really have sophisticated crossovers, may be one capacitor, so that HF most likely gets a big chunk of full range signal and it's not filtered well). Small room does reflect some bass, but only in some spots. I do not hear the same sound in every corner of my room as Bose advertises; they are fairly direct as most of the port-design speakers are (well, speaking about reflected sound, I am thinking about 901s here ))). Not an audiophile grade speaker, for sure; with tone controls flat, they sound way too compressed, I mean "baseball" size, almost white noise. Most of the people here seem to use them in HT setups with subs, which makes sense. Despite all the drawbacks, I believe they are a good "investment", because Bose marketing is so penetrating, that their speakers sell like hot cakes, new and old.

Submitted by panchoramos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought the Bose 201 Series IV a year ago, they are the predecessor to the current model, Bose 201 Series V. If you are experienced in home audio, its obvious that just picking up one of these 201's feel much lighter in weight than your typical higher-end bookshelf speakers, of comparable or even smaller size. Cheap construction, the cabinet was only partially laminated, leaving exposed fiberboard. When you connect your wires, you'll notice Spring loaded terminals, lacking the Binding posts found in higher quality, comparably priced brands. I removed the grille and inspected further, the tweeter and woofer cones are all made of paper. Just for fun, I unscrewed the 6 1/2" main Driver and inspected the inside. There were no connectors on the end of the wires, instead I find that the wires are hand tied to the woofer's terminals (See for yourself!)

I connected the Bose 201's to my Denon AVR-1706 7.1 Channel receiver in Stereo Mode. These speakers have no enjoyable high nor low frequencies. There is no improvement in sound quality between the Bose and my HDTV's internal speakers. These speakers seem to augment the sound in an unnatural manner, and the direct-reflecting feature is bogus. I proceeded to connect my Klipsch SB-1's bookshelfs and ran an A/B test through my receiver on a variety of movies music and games. The Klipsch's blew away the Bose's. Sold them on craigslist a few weeks later.

Dont be suckered into any of Bose's products. If youre looking to break into high end audio, go for Infinity, Polk Audio, JBL, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, which can be had for much less than comparable Bose models. The only thing Bose should get credit for, is their world class marketing strategy.

Submitted by ericchanning a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Picked a pair up at a pawn shop for $20. They were basically straight. I had some high end Optimus book shelve speakers on my back channels of my 7.1 surround.

Relatively speaking, they bring volume and a warmer tone than the Optimus in a bookshelf. In my house, the front speakers are the drivers and the rear speakers for effects. If you look at a $4K Bose system with those little 4" midrange for surround, they are okay but lack the full thrust of sound as a 7.1 swooshes through your home entertainment system.

I run 3 subs. One with the sub out, one with the 7.1 fronts and one with the two back centers. the two back sides need some bass to fill out the low response. I also run on a separate amp some Bose 901's to augment the front channel Optimus speakers. It's a much better "warm" sound, not brassy or crisp like horns give, but more like someone actually talking in front of you.

I'm a amateur musician but a overly zealous audiophile. I've got to say that the more I listen to Bose, they more I like them. I've owned pretty much every major brand of equipement out there. I think they think things through versus just heart pounding bass and screaming highs. There's a quality of sound, like a good wine, that only a person who listen to a lot of systems can appreciate.

Submitted by manlystanley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bought these because they fit perfectly mounted below the cabinets in my kitchen. Without running my receivers 'Auto Setup' they sounded really flat (huge middle and no highs). After running the Setup they sounded just OK.

In general, I'm sorry that I bought them. The Bose 301 Series IV is just a little bigger and cost about the same on Craigslist. So, the old saying is true: Buy in haste repent in leisure......

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by biggertroy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Bottom Line:
I won these on ebay with a 45 dollar bid which really surprised me because most of the 201s on there were selling for much more. I have always teetered on liking and hating Bose speakers in the past. My barracks mate while stationed in Korea had a pair of 301s and they sounded good but I dont like the AM or lifestyle sound at all. After they arrived I hooked them up and was quite surprised at their pleasant sound. They are very easy on the ears and have enough volume and imaging for most listeners. No they dont sound as good as Paradigms or NHT's but if you just need a decent set of speakers for casual listening and can pick up a pair cheap I would more than recommend these. They sounded great with my NHT subwoofer. I am using them as my rear speakers for my home theater system and am more than pleased. I would not buy these unless you have a midrange control on your receiver or preamp because they are midrange heavy but sound great when I turned the midrange down . When I upgrade my rears I will probably keep these just because Ithey are cool and the growing stacks of speakers in my closet is really making my wife insane.