B&W LM1
Description: 2-Way 4th-Order Vented-Box System - 5" Bass/Mid, 1" High-Frequency - Recommended amplifier power: 25W - 100W continuous into 8 ohms on unclipped programme. Available in 5 colors: Burgundy, white, grey, turquoise, and black.

Submitted by Music Man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of LM1's ex demo to use in a second room for stereo only (Using Klipsch and Rotel for HT in the main room). I combined with an 8" powered subwoofer, and although only running off a Marantz combined receiver / Cd Player / Amplifier the sound quality is amazing. Everything on my I-Pod now sounds brilliant whereby on other systems there are a number of tracks with deficiencies. Low or High volume they are clear and clean and somehow never manage to sound harsh despite the volume or music selected.

My only gripe is the complexity with wall mounting - despite other reviews the holes are wider than wall studs, and it would be significanltly easier to mount the brackets first without the speakers attached.

However despite this minimal issue now that they are up and running I am hooked - I even prefer to listen to them at the moment over the Klipsch / Rotel setup!

Submitted by exriguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a comparison between the B&W LM-1 (LM1) and the newer B&W M1. They are very different speakers. So now that I own both and have set them up as A/B and compared them back and forth here goes a review:

LM1: This speaker is much more efficient and has a forward sounding mid-range versus the M1's. It has, in my opinion, a much better mid-range than the M1 that almost sounds like a mini FST with its delivery. Versus the M1 the vocals and certain jaszz instruments sing, and are not drowned out or muted as they are in the M1, frankly. If I were looking for a set of mini "fronts" in a HT set up or a center channel (for sure) this is a better speaker than the M1, in my opinion. As a set of rear speakers they are not particularly good, as they can overpower the fronts if allowed and don't image particularly well.

M1: The tweeter is more refined versus the LM1 for sure and they image much better. These are excellent rear speakers in a home theatre set up as they just blend in to the background and they image quite well. They are less efficient and will not over-power the fronts. Bass is actually tighter than the LM1's as well, though of course there isn't much bass at all. They truly lack a mid range, however, comparatively speaking, and they are not well suited for certain kinds of music. They make great rear speakers.

Submitted by ryan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
Simply stated, these speakers are excellent. They have been, are, and will continue to impress me, just like the first time I took them out of the box. The tweeter grills come off, but I think it's a good thing. I don't know what all the other reviewers' issues are, they only time they come off is if the speaker is upside down, or you physically take it off. Like a good dog, can't beat it, go B&W all the way!

Submitted by theotext a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good design, well shaped. Multifunctional base, for mounting on wall, seling, every were.

I used the speakers in my room, and they sounded good. Placing them was almost easy but there I was wrong. It took about three weeks and then I got the best position.
Now I've got a subwoofer, Heco ONYX 1000 to fill the lack of bass... Ideal combination.

Purchased At:   Local specialist

Submitted by Stevy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
These cute little speakers are ideal for use as rears in a HT setup.They are good looking (available in 5 colours),good value,specially as I won mine by registering the gaurantee online,for my b&w cdm7nt main speakers! and also very flexible mounting-wise with the moveable base.
LM1's also sound good for their price,I tried them instead of my cdm7nt's,and they put on a decent effort,good imaging,good bass and treble for size,obviously when cdm7nt's were back in place,it was like a veil had been lifted.
I tried them in the kitchen for a while,but their cute design was lost,as they were on top of cupboards,so eventually they came back in the living room where they took up residence on stands, as the rears in my HT,where they are very impressive.