B&W DM303
Description: The tweeter uses tapering tube loading, first used in the original Nautilus. This ensures far greater absorption of unwanted radiation away from the rear of the diaphragm and results in a cleaner, more focussed and natural high frequency sound. The bass/midrange driver uses a cone of woven glass fibre, which functions in a similar fashion to Kevlar. The crossover components use air core inductors for lowest distortion and plastic film capacitors for minimal signal degradation. The front baffle is moulded in inert micra filled polypropylene, which has a subtly curved outline and is dimpled to echo the theme of Flowport at the back; itself elegantly combined with easy-access terminal panel that can accept all common terminations.

Submitted by mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
the best ever built by small boxes by Bowers & W. Do not pay more for modern cacjas. Look for this series

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
Amazing value!

I must admit, I like B&W sound in general, and just upgraded to Nautilus 805, hence the below may be a bit biased.

System:
Amp: Sophia Electric Baby
Source: Jolida CD100
Interconnects: Monster M1000
Speaker Wire: Hand-braided CAT5e

Experience:
For my ears, the setup I had before the upgrade to 805's was almost perfect for the price. I have tested many speakers with my setup to find a good solution, interchanging cables and source several times and nothing sounded close to DM303 even at double the price.

I listen to Jazz mostly, though for my reference I use Monster Blues CD. It has a good range of instrumental and vocal performances and is well recorded and mastered.

I feel that DM303 are the only speakers in the price range that allow for discussion of headroom, separation, sound stage, transparency, etc. Everything else, again, in this price range, is either "I can hear some things", or "I can't hear some things."

I loved the sound of these speakers for more than a year, but decided to try 805 (not the S) with my setup and unfortunately it spoiled my experience forever. Apparently 805 is the absolute perfect match for my setup, because even more expensive or newer models from B&W just don't sound as good here and surprisingly, DM303 is the closest in match even though they are almost $2,000 cheaper!

I think B&W did an excellent job producing a speaker for audio connoisseurs on a budget. It really is a great stepping stone for anyone wandering into an Audiophile territory. DM303's really let you enjoy music and don't break your bank at the same time. I recommend these to anyone looking for a serious system on a budget.

One more note: These speakers, as are many other great speakers, are sensitive to placement and room. To judge them accurately one would have to audition them for some time and play with positioning, cabling and amplification. It really can make a drastic difference and can make or break your experience.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by namho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I must say this speaker is great speaker for the price.
I bought on sale for $199 pair brand new.
I did lots of research and I saw many good comments on dm303.
I listened to both 601 s3 and dm303 and I liked the way dm303 sounded better.
601 had better mid/voice and highs but 303 sounded more clear and sparkling.
dm303 sounded so lively compare to 601 which sounded more calm...
I bought this speaker for my office and I love how it performs.
Best speaker for the price.

Purchased At:   video life hawaii

Submitted by Danny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is my very first B&W and I must say I am amazed with the sound quality.
I did lots of review for budget bookshelf speakers for my office but not skipping the sound quality. I narrowed down to B&W dm601 s3 and dm303. I tried both speakers before I bought and I liked dm303 better. dm601 s3 had better mid/voice and high tones but somehow sound was not lively and sparkling as dm303. Dm303 sounded little harsh on beginning but as I played everyday for last 2weeks, sound got much better.
It seemed like more I use it sound just keep getting better.
I must say this speaker is Great buy for office or small apartments.
Especially I bought for $199 per pair. ( new ) Can't beat it.

Purchased At:   Video Life Hawaii

Submitted by RH Customs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best speakers I have ever heard in this prices range. Everything from vocals, bass, and details of every part of music is tight and crisp. For movies these bring out every detail. The best thing is these do not make sound muddy or make music bland.

RH