B&W DM 601
Description: 2-Way 6.5" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by roy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
IIt may be because English are still always good in excagrrating the quality of every of their very poor ENGLISH quality products out of the steam train age, which is believed by many people that still live their iIve in the stone age. But my non prejudiced non English verdict is that these English speakers are of very poor quality.

I have some very old (ALSO ENGLISH) B&W DM 310 speakers, which sound extremely good in combination with my extremeley good price/quality Japanese Denon amplifiersm, which do not need any review by so called expert English marketing audio papers, to be very good. If I compare my old DM 310's with the 610's , in the same room, with the same drivere and the same music, whichever music (Jazz, Rock, Gregorian, etc.) it seems as if something is seriously wong with the DM310. So if you listen to the DM 310 I advise nou to listen to the big Englisk B&W marketing machine, but to the speajkers themselves and I hope you will find also that the big B&W/English old buddiess sweet talk marketing network is again wrong this time.

Submitted by vinny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
Have been listening to these little gems for over 15 years. With my Rotel integrated amp, cd player and Audioquest cables. All I can say is they are slightly above average, and very overrated. I guess its in the name. If you like loud music, esp heavy metal you can just about forget any clarity. Well recorded Modern Jazz and warm female voices are there strong point. Just dont push them . The highs are too sparkly, mid range is muddy and bass is too warm and rolls off very early. One thing I will say is that they are rugged. Almost look as good as the day that I purchased them. I know B&W have made better sounding speakers. These are just not one of them.

Submitted by rainforth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought from charity shop for £49 in mint condition - stunning little speakers which I use in my music room (I'm a professional pianist). Clearly not in the same league as the Kef Reference 3s which are in my main room but I am astonished at the detail, clarity and accuracy of these little gems.

Submitted by buscador de audio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
excellent little speakers, great sound for budget price but this babies deserve a good amplifier like Marantz, Linn, Audio Creek, etc.

I have been using this speakers for a very long time and even that there are many top speakers in the market this are still my favorites

Purchased At:   hifi designed

Submitted by bubacka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was amazed with the detail presentation from my DM601, I use them in studio, and i could listen to them for hours and hours. They present a very good stereo image, very accurate. The highs are a bit colorful, lows are tight and fast. The whole speaker sounds a bit harsh, but that is what i want. What amazed me is how fast are the speakers. I could compare them to Genelec 1030, KRK Rokit 8 and others, I find that these speakers are not very good for critical mixing because i feel that they rolloff highs, but they are good for music production, and on the other side i find that i mix better with a speaker that sound like the 601.
One thing that bothers me is that the speaker has not much lows such as 45 Hz, but that is ok with me, many studio monitors that i have lisened to perform like this, and especially like the DM601.
The speaker sounds very very neutral, but not very musical which i appreciate.
I run them with Rotel RB-971mk2.