Mitsubishi WS-65909 Diamond Series

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've had the 65909 for a while now and have found nothing but problems with the NetCommand software. The company doesn't stand behind it and it only works certain products that are mostly Mitsubishi products. If you have any other brand of components, this TV may not be for you. The picture is great but it takes hours to setup NetCommand and even more time if you want it to work PART of the time. The company has been no help and continue to string users along regarding NetCommand stating components should be workable with the next software release. Well I'm on the 3rd release and I still cannot work any of my components with NetCommand. And the company has now said there is nothing more they can do(great service huh). If your serious about Home Theater, you don't want any Mitsubishi TV that has NetCommand. It will give you a major migrane and the company will NOT HELP AT ALL. Consider something else. This thing just doesn't work.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Ricky B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I looked for over two years for the best and biggest picture,build quality, and cost choice out there. This is their near top, top of the line and it shows. I care nothing about the speakers on this set as of yet I've never heard them. If you want great DVD and HD quality then this is it. I use a Sony S9000ES player with Yamaha 2095 reciever, Martin Logan Aeon mains, Velodyn HGS 10 sub, Atlantic Techonlogy rears and front effects. WOW! So much fun. Why go to the movies? You can spend lots more but you won't get much more for your $$. Most everyone can't believe how good movies look and sound on this set-up. They want one just like it now. So far not a single prob..

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Dan Chen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
ok..this is a nice tv. you basically trade off good regular tv viewing for great dvd and video game viewing when you buy a widescreen tv. for me, that was fine. who cares how good normal tv is. i want to watch movies on a big tv and not on a small tube. plus with the built-in decoder you can watch HDTV (which is great)..i can't wait til more programming is in HD (especially more NBC and Fox shows)..CBS and ABC are pretty much HD during primetime..direct tv as others have said is ok...if you want to watch movies on a big screen, then this is the set..or if you want to watch HDTV by just plugging the antenna into the tv..then this is the set..

Purchased At:   Andersons

Submitted by audiom3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been very impressed with this TV so far. My only complaint, was dragging it into the house after I bought it! It is HEAVY. But then again, all Rear Projectors are. I did fairly extensive research when looking for an HDTV. You get tons of varying opinions on which make/model is the best from the various sales people. I compared Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Pioneer Elite, and others directly. Sure, the Elite looked the best, but it was several thousand dollars more for a 64" screen. There wasn't really that big of a difference between the other major makes in terms of picture quality. The edge being the Mitsu, and the Toshiba being the least desirable of the three, IMO.

When I first hooked it up, I watched my standard broadcast of Directv. Yeah, it is slighly disappointing, but that is in no way attributed to the TV. In the "standard" mode, the 4x3 image gets stretched evenly to fill the full width of the 16x9 TV. I can't imagine any other make or model doing it any better. All the TVs have the same common goal, with resolution that is unchangeable at the source. It just sucks that most broadcasting is still NTSC! But when viewing DVDs (only buy Anamorphic Widescreen DVDs if you plan to switch from 4x3 to 16x9 in the future), it is just amazing. Even right out of the box, it needed very little adjustment/convergence. The color looks very good (I keep it at 6500k), and the picture is very sharp. I plan on moving it into my theatre room in a couple weeks when it is completed, so it should look even better when I'm 15' away instead of 11-12'! The remote control is fine in terms of quality, but I wish you didn't have to cycle through all of the screen modes one by one. The back panel has a TON of jacks for all kinds of flexability. I haven't yet hooked up my system, so I have given the internal speakers a very good test. I am spoiled by my Seperates, so I wont go into how the internal speakers sound - it wouldn't be fair. I did buy a pair of Audioquest Coral Interconnects, and that made a big difference to the overall clarity and bass. I have not been able to tune in a Terrestrial Broadcast of HDTV, so I haven't even begun to test the hi-res side to this TV, but I am impressed so far.

Purchased At:   Magnolia HiFi