Mitsubishi WS-65903
Description: HDTV Widescreen

Submitted by mike close a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
convergeance was very lousy. tv went out of convergence everytime i turned it on. i hope the tech here right now can fix this problem, because i wont take this brush off from mitsubishi lightly.

Purchased At:   cambridge sound work

Submitted by Edward Dowejko a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Mitsubishi HDTV is an extremely poor product. I purchased the product for $4494 in Feb 2001 from Charlotte Appliance in Rochester NY. I've had two other rear projection TV's, a Sony and Hitachi Ultravision. Both products were great however the Mitsubishi HDTV IS a complete waste of money. The TV developed a 3 inch brown band at the bottom of the TV and Mitsubishi's authorized service dealer was called for warranty repair. Was told brown band was due to watch TV where logo and news flashes were displayed at bottom of screen. Also advised that this was NOT covered under warranty. Called Mitsubishi Customer service and customer service manager stated that repairs will not be covered under new warranty or service contract warranty (which also cost $397). Was told cost of repair would be $1800 of which Mitsubishi would pay nothing. I've had rear projection TV's for over 20 years and this is the first time I've had any trouble. This product is certainly poorly designed and not worth anything. I got cheated!!!

Purchased At:   Charlotte Appliance

Submitted by jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am quite statisfied with my mit hdtv. When I bought it in 99, I had the understanding that the hdtv standard was not finished and could require an upgrade with addtional parts.
The other thing to be aware of is screen burnin. The manual clearly states in several places the you should not leave a standing image on the screen for an extended period. This rule goes for any TV. In fact, the manual recomended to view in wide screen (16x9) and not the NTSC (4:3). The problem with viewing NTSC (4:3) is the burnin of the gray bars that surround the picture. Besides, the gray bars bother me and I always switch to the wide screen mode. This mode stretches the picture slightly to fill the screen but keeps the image crisp and clear.
I still to this day am able to drop jaws when people enter the room with the mit. Some people even own HDTVs of other brands and wish that they could have bought a mit.

Purchased At:   big screen store

Submitted by Mike Beschen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great picture, reasoable price.Brand compatability was misleading. Needed to buy an adaptor for an extra $130 to hook up to an RCA DTS100 sat reciever.

Purchased At:   Audio Express

Submitted by Andy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I actually had both a mitsubishi 50" hdtv and their wide screen version in my house before finally just settling on a Hitachi Ultravision.
The problem with the Widescreen mits is exactly as the previous reviewer noted...the bars burn into the side.

The problem with the 50" 4:3 mits was that there was a 3/4 inch black bar the seemed to run down the length of the picture...just right of center. A replacement set had the same problem...even with special shielded cables and a power conditioner hooked up.

The biggest problem of all was Mitsubishi's response to all of these issues...pretty much they consistently denied that my set had a problem. After the second set arrived, they pretty much did everything but blatently call me a liar. They stated that no one has ever complained about these issues before. This was funny because earlier the salesman at the store and I talked with their technical department and they said the both the burn-in and the line problem were the two biggest complaints they get.

To make a long story short their was nothing they could do to resolve the problem...fortunately I had a great dealer that was willing to handle these problems for me because Mitubishi certainly wasn't willing to help me out very much.

After seeing the other HDTV options and rethinking my strategy I came to the conclusion that every HDTV set out there has flaws in it that I am not ready to spend a fortune to live with right now. I settled on the Hitachi Ultravision which is not HDTV, but the picture is fabulous IMHO.

All in all, too much money and too many problems.