Mitsubishi WS 65819
Description: - Black diamond gray finish with 2-piece cabinet.<br>- NTSC video system and HD upgradeable.

Submitted by Nick Donato a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Mitsubishi makes the best displays I have ever seen! No other TV comes close! I'm not just talking rear projection either. I've yet to see the DLP front projector, Plasma or tube TV that looks better.

There are a few flagship displays from other manufacturers that are as good as mitsubishi's entry level sets but, that’s all.

Progressive scan DVDs look almost High Definition. High definition images look Amazing, breathtaking on the upper end Platinum plus and Diamond series sets.

My advice to anyone is to buy highest level Mitsubishi set you can afford.

Submitted by SCOTT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
After my 10 year old 60" RPTV died, I decided on this 65" wide screen. Since I watch at least 4 DVD movies a week, the WS model is the better choice. The picture from cable is less than spectacular, but a recent upgrade to DSS removed that problem. You must purchase a good DVD setup disk such as Sound & Vision or Video Essentials. There are others. This will help you tweak the picture to cinematic levels, and please don't forget to drop the contrast in all imputs to at least half. All the Mitsubishis have a red push that can not be defeated by the user. Search the forums as remedies are available from a simple mini plug on one component cable, to a full professional tune-up via the service menu. I have yet to attach a HDTV tuner, but it is a pleasure to know it is compatable. My current DVD lacks progressive output, but the TV is equiped with a "Film" mode that compensates & corrects the picture from film based sources. I hooked it up & had it going in 15 minutes upon delivery. Easy setup menus & ability to name every broadcast channel is also a plus. Great TV & a great price. You won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Pacific Sales

Submitted by ski_fast002 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had my 65819 delivered last week and my expectations so far have been met, and then some. I was certainly impressed with the HD images in the store, but it was the handling of progressive scan DVD's and 'regular' signals that sold me on this set. To be sure, any compression artifacts or signal flaws will be magnified on such a monster screen, but the line doubler makes the image palatable. If you're planning to watch very little progressive-scan DVD and/or HD, stick with a smaller screen that will better mask the signal weaknesses. If on the other hand you spend at least 50% of your time watching high-bandwidth material, this set is superb. With a tight staircase leading to my newly-finished basement home theater, this is was my only option above a 42-inch screen, and so far the results are outstanding.

As with virtually all Mitsubishi's and most big-screens in general, this unit has an emphasis on red colors that can't be adjusted from the user menu. I highly recommend getting this unit calibrated by an ISF-trained technician to fix this common 'feature'.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by George Kunatz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
We haven't owned the set very long, prior we owned a toshiba 55". That was in my opinion a very great rear projection television. the HD picture on the Mitz is remarkable.I am still learning all of the features of the set, but so far we like it.
We have also coupled the set with the Mitz HDTV receiver.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Dragon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this over the sony 57 xbr, It is huge but I was sold due to the two piece cabinet. I am amazed by its true home theatre quality. I looked for a year and found nothing even close with more bang for the buck. The expand mode makes 4x3 signals palateable in widescreen mode.

My Life is now complete, I have Achieved Home Theatre