Hitachi 53SDX01B
Description: 53" Projection Television

Submitted by tman45 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned this televison model 53SDX01B nearly 8 years. Purchased 06/19/2001 today is 03/24/2009. From my research this has 3 CRT based rear projection tubes. I must say it has performed admirably. The picture quality has held up to high definition emulation the same throughout the years.

Submitted by Fuzzy32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought this tv in March 2001 for $4100 Can. Had it ISF calibrated. LOVE IT!!! Cable reception is acceptable. DVD's look absolutely stunning with my Sony 9000ES. Haven't tried HDTV yet.....until last week. Got my hands on a HDTV digital cable box through my cable company and was expected to be blown away. My first HDTV channel was PBS out of Detroit. The picture was beautiful. Next day was Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring) in HDTV. In my honest opinion I thought it was just a bit better than my 9000ES. There was one more show I wanted to check out...the Super Bowl in HDTV. HOLY COW!!!!!! What a difference...the picture clarity was stunning. I could count individual blades of grass on the field. When the camera zoomed in on the opening kickoff, I could make out peoples faces in the background. HD programming and on this tv is simply outstanding. Good work Hitachi. (Only bad thing is that this makes me want to go and get a 65" Hitachi widescreeen tv.) This was my first RPTV and won't be my last...Hitachi all the way.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics

Submitted by Randy Troike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I brought this system home at halftime of the Ohio State - Michigan game. I was able to have it unboxed and setup before the start of the second half. This TV has the best picture of any projection TV I have ever seen. The Ultra Bright picture is so clear and the color quality is fantastic. It has so many freatures that it is hard to remember them all.

Purchased At:   Rex TV & Appliance

Submitted by rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
this is by far and away the best tv out there in hdtv format. i am not a fan of 16:9 widescreen sets.so i wanted a big full sized screen. this set sat next to Sony,Panasonic, RCA, Toshiba and there was absolutely no comparison. dvd picture is stunning, and hdtv picture even better.brightness and color quality, clarity light years above the competition.i have not had it long enough to know truly if i will experience any problems.

Purchased At:   Rex

Submitted by Scott Cramer a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been very pleased by the picture quality of this set since it came out of the box. The picture quality of DVD's using my Toshiba 5109 progressive scan player is theater quality. Using the Video Essentials DVD, I adjusted the picture again after the first year and saw a slight improvement. For the features, this is one great TV, especially at the price I paid. I purchased this TV at Sears for 2999.00 after they price matched Consumer Direct. Within 30 days, CD dropped price to 2600.00 and Sears met it(plus Sears had 1 year no payments or interest). Hard to beat!! Comparing to the Sony and Mistubishi models, I felt this had more features for a lower price. I watched the Toshiba theater wide 16x9 TV, but decided the picture quality was slightly better on the Hitachi and the 4:3 format was going to be around for a while. This TV will more than suffice until I switch to a 16x9 when HD becomes the standard.

My only concern is the fact that it has just one component video input which will make it harder to add an HDTV box while still using my DVD player.

Overall, very good product for the money.

Purchased At:   Sears