Wilson Benesch Act 1 turntable TurnTables

belt-driven, suspended carbon fibre sub-plinth

Submitted by Nick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
It took a year of careful auditioning before I settled on the Wilson-Benesch with an ACT 1 tonearm. Generally, I find that British turntables time and swing far, far better than American ones, with the only exception being the Immedia. The WB, the Linn, the Rega all have a way with timing that's hard to deny. Early on in my search, I pretty much struck the American models off my list. While they tended to have more depth and sounstage, I felt these weren't, and aren't, musically relevant parameters.

So, on my shortlist were the Linn, Rega, Immedia and WB. I struck the Linn off because I felt that its warmth which was initially so seductive might actually be a coloration. It also lacked that final measure of transparancy. Next to go was the Rega. As much as I liked its timing (it was, to my ears, the best of the lot), it fell behind the others in all other areas (midrange bloom, quickness, versatility in taking other arms,lack of VTA adjustment). The Immedia might have actually gone slightly lower in the bass than the Wilson Benesch, and it timed just as well, but the WB was faster, being the perfect match for electrostatics, more airy, more subtle in the midrange, smoother, and less expensive.

For anyone thinking of vinyl, the WB is a must-audition. It is a well thought out turntable with an extensive repertoire of strenghts.

My system:
WB turntable with ACT 1 tone and Grado Reference
Audio Research PH2 Phono stage
Audio Research LS 3
Audio Research VTM 120
Martin Logan Sequel 2

Submitted by mecharath a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Wilson-Benesch turntable for several days now and can honestly say that for the money nothing comes close!!!My system consists of front end: Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1, Wilson-Benesch Act 1 (with Act II tonearm, Benz-Micro L0.4, Benz-Micro Lukashek)...Amplification: Audio Note Kit One (with Viac VV32B upgrade)...Speakers: Proac Tablette Signature 50...Cables: All Cardas Hexalink 5C Golden (including tonearm cable).

For a while I was contented with the Sonic Frontiers CD player, good bass and quite musical (You can read my full review on the unit under CD players elsewhere on this site). However, I was also not blinded by the "perfect sound forever" hype that the digital industry has rammed down our throats for the past 16 years.

I decided that I would take the plunge into analog playback but wanted a reference playback system so as to dissuade myself from "upgrading" in the near future. For several months I listened to a variety of tables (VPI, Rega, Immedia, Oracle, Goldmund, Wilson), all had strengths and weaknesses. In the end, I chose the Wilson-Benesch because of its tight control of bass and uncolored presentation.

The Wilson-Benesch with the Act II tonearm, and Benz-Micro L0.4 cartridge makes a killer combination that challenges even the megabuck Rockports and Forsells in terms of impact and musicality. This table is a real "sleeper" in the analog arena and it will only be a matter of time before it will be universally recognized and priced more in-line with its abilities (ie UP)

Heartily recommended!!!