Thorens TD-295II
Description: Turntable with belt-drive

Submitted by Siegfried Seierlein a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
My review covers the TD 290 MKII. The main difference between the 290 and the 295 is the price, the look ( woodwork ), and the interconnects. The rest are exactly the same.

I had a turntable before the days of CD, but never listened to the turntable again since buying my first CD player ( plus various upgrades ) 15 years ago.

What a surprice when I bought the Thorens earlier this year. I do not think it is fair to compare the two formats as each of them has distinkt advantages and fun. I do, however, spend much more time listening to the Thorens now than the CD player.

The reproduction accuracy and sounstage is outstanding. I have experienced some significant differences in general sound quality using different cartrigdes.

I have made some changes to the Thorens and have added some options that did made significant improvements and would like to recommend these.

Most significant improvement was adding the the TPN 2000 Thorens power supply.

Secondly, I have upgraded the interconnects.

Thirdly, I have removed all the links and parts that does the semi automatic control - you dont need this !

Then I have replaced the filt mat by a proper rubber type mat ( Oracle Groove Isolator ) This reduced static activity to an absolute minimum.

The antiskating device is not good and does not work smooth. I removed the " wire " piece and replaced it with a new wire ( fence wire ) and a little roller ( inside of and old cassette ) - did not costs a cent. Significant improvement with anti skating control.

Setting up is of utmost importance. The arm can be adjusted up or down ( VTA ). do this adjustment based on the cartridge used - important for best results.

For final setup I use a test LP from HI-FI NEWS magazine to help me do the fine adjustments and to maximise the tracting. Can't do this without the LP.

Finally, I would like to recommend a very good little phono pre amp, I bought recently. This finally improved my turntable setup to something, I will have to spend lots of money on to improve. Check out the BLACK CUBE !!!!!

Try this link : www.phonophono.de for more info on the black cube. ( www.lehmann.de )

Submitted by Evan Trent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a good value in turntables this is it folks. Excellent sonics, good vibration absorption. The tonearm is a versatile guy, works with a good variety of cartridges. Also plays 78s, which is a plus (I inherited a decent collection of them incidentally).

It also looks really sexy.

Frankly I think it's one of the best pieces of audio equipment I've ever bought. I will never need another turntable. I would need to go super high end with my other gear to max this puppy out.

Submitted by MarkZ a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Sounds very good with a Ortofon OM30super. Nearly perfect pitch stability also with critical piano or violin-recordings. I was surprised about the contemporarylooks, just beautifull!