Rega Planar 3 TurnTables

4.22/5 (74 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

The Planar 3 features a glass platter and probably the best inexpensive straight line tone arm in the industry - the RB-300 tone arm. The RB-300 is so good it does justice to tables costing thousands of dollars. The arm eliminates the faults of cheaper tonearms through its one-piece, resonant damped design (no separate head shell to blur sound) and high quality ball-and-gimbal bearing pivot, and includes a damped cuing lever. The belt-drive Rega comes complete with felt platter mat and dust cover. Made in U.K.

Submitted by Audiomaster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2017

Bottom Line:
P3 was purchased based on so many positive reviews here and in many audio publications.
I was not very impressed with the quality of sound came out of this cheap looking TT.
I returned it three weeks later and got my money back. Glad I still had my Systemdecl IIX, which I used for many years, buy that instead of this Rega, Systemdeck is way ahead of Rega and performs much better then it's price would indicate.

Submitted by blackhawks6 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2015

Bottom Line:
this review is trailing the other reviews by years however in the event somebody researches the P3 and wants feedback from a dedicated audio listener with decent equipment and it is in plain speak (no offense to audiophiles who are better versed technically).

To give you an idea... I run:

Hegel H300 integrated
B&W PM1 monitors
B&W PV1 sub
macmini digital server
Clearudio nano phono preamp
LAT cables (ints and speaker)
Cardas USB

I have spent approximately $40,000 to end up with this $12000 system. Tried B&W 803S, B&W 805D, KEF's, Dynaudio (awful!), Bryston, W4S, Peachtree.It depends on chemistry I know.

The current setup is the best match for the P3. I use a Sumiko Pearl basic M cartridge. The turntable sounds sweet. It did not at first. It sounded reserved and compressed at first. There was no comparison to digital. Expecting warm but sounded dull. Then everything opened up after awhile. Also at this point warmth came upon the player and digital sounded harsh Of course both formats largely depended on the recordings. However I never heard any of the wow and flutter or interference/noise that others have complained about. None of it. There are no mods to my table.

This is a solid turntable. I am now toying with the idea of the Clearaudio Concept because I am so wowed by the performance of the Nano (used). I previously had a NAD phono preamp and it was junk. However I do not think I am going to abandon this P3. i believe the chemistry is set and the risk is that I acquire a technically better piece of equipment but in concert with the other parts it may sound inferior.

Last point and I believe a critical one. When I acquired the Bryston single channel amps and the NAD Masters series processor I had my audio dealer come out and setup the entire system. It cost me $400.00. I believe that the dealer service in optimizing the system especially the calibration of the Rega P3 has a significant role in how well this unit sounds despite the fact that I have changes all of the other pieces with the exception of the Rega.

Submitted by Gordon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Great investment. Value for money. Never fails in its performance.

I would never give-up my P3 for any other models within its range of budget.

Submitted by allen lane a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
well on the few chances i get to blast out all my old vinyl, i really love the sound i get from my p3, iv never altered or upgraded it since i bought it back in 96 , maybe i should, or may need to change cartridge one day, but to be honest i would,nt know where to start. yes there is a humm, after a good play, so i may be interested in in some, sound, (no pun intended) advice on practical reasonable solutions, especially on an econic level! cheers

Submitted by hifioldster a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is my review of the Rega Planar 3. Like many people I read the reports in the Hi Fi press about the Rega turntables during the mid nineties and was interested in upgrading fom an older turntable. Although I don't listen to much vinyl now it is nice to use the Rega. It has flaws though , motor hum is present towards the centre of the platter , the original pick up wiring is not particularly good and I came up with my own mod to stop the dreadful mechanical motor lumping which came through the deck . After the recent Cadas litz rewire using my old Ortofon cartridge from my original table some years and a lubrication service of the arm and turntable bush it now sounds as I want it too. And the detail and stereo image is much improved with an extended bass. I would advise anyone that feels their Rega three sounds a bit restrained to get the Cardas kit fitted before changing anything else. It also got rid of phase distortion and a lot of extra detail came through. , very pleased now .