Rega P25/Planar 25 TurnTables

4.27/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $1275.00

The minimised high performance plinth derived from the P3 carries a sophisticated electronically controlled ultra low vibration motor assembly. With this design our skilled production technicians can "trim" the vibrations from the motor. The platter is from the same hand crafted float plate glass design as used on the famous P3.

The P25 carries a high performance version of the legendary RB300 tonearm. The RB600 is lovingly constructed to extremely high tolerances by a dedicated team of production technicians. To further improve musical detail the RB600 carries an extremely high performance Rega designed Phono cable assembly with state of the art neutrik connectors.

Submitted by pierre a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
J`ai eu plusieur tables tournantes, une rega 3, rega 2, THORENS TD126, Linn Axis,
Aiston RD40 et ensuite la Rega 25. Je m`étais fié a sa bonne réputation pour faire mon choix. j`ai regretté l` achat de cette platine. Bien sure elle était belle. Mais je trouvais le son trop mince et tres ennuyant, et des basse tres quelquonques. Mon lecteur cd
Micromega solo est boucoup plus convainquant ; plus dinamique, plus doux, meilleur image,etc
Mes haut parleur étaient des Eminent technology LFT8.

Purchased At:   audiolight

Submitted by John Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Rega P25 after some positive research regarding turntables in this range. Considering the $275 price with the Rega Exact cartridge, I think it was a steal. Replaced a Music Hall MMF5 with Goldring 1012GX. The Rega is a much higher quality table with better looks and feel. Comes with high quality cables and gold plated Neutrik RCA conectors. The sound with the Exact is punchy, tight, with crisp highs and alot of base slam. I am very satisfied. I think the only step up in this range would be the VPI Scout. If you are using a low end table and can afford $300-$1000 on the used market, like Audiogon, then the P25 would be a very satisfying upgrade.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by RobN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this after 20 years of using Rega 3's - the first with the old arm was stolen - to convert vinyl to music. It helped that as it was the end of the 25 line it was discounted and I used the saving to buy a Dynavector DV10X5 MC high output cartridge.

At first it sounded a little lean but with increased bass and treble extension than I was accustomed to from eitehr the Rega 3 or my Marantz CD63 KI CD source. It felt as though there was more space separating instruments and that the details were portrayed at a finer resolution. It retained the toe tapping aspect of the presentation that I had always enjoyed with the Rega 3. At this point I was aware that the deck was a great improvement on the 3 but was still a little lean in the bass.

Next step was to buy an Origin strutural modification kit for the arm, this gave the sound more weight at the bottom end and I preferred this sound though I felt it was at the expense of some fluidity. I then bought a rega kit off e-bay, changed the platter for acrylic, motor bearing, oil and fitted some damping 'elastic bands' around sources of vibration. I was rewarded with a quieter background, greater dynamic range, more precise imagery and excellent porayal of the timbre of each and every instrument. I'm really happy with this sound and it in some ways prefer it to the LP12 sound and certainly to the sound of CDs. I have of course been digging into my vinyl and appreciating fine details of recordings that for years have passed me by, and of course I'm still tapping my toes!

Purchased At:   Grahams London

Submitted by Juggernaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am the proud owner of a Rega P25 / Sumiko Blue Point Special turntable-combination and I must say that I am very pleased with the way it sounds.

The Rega is a beautiful table to look at but even more important is that it sounds just as good. In combination with the Sumiko BPS the sound is fresh, lively, natural and engaging.
It's a turntable which invites you to start tapping your feet or start dancing when listening to your favourite music.
The music simply sounds right and OK, if you know what I mean?

Another good thing is that this table is very easy to operate: there is just one knob/button on the whole table and that is the way I like it.
The P25 is a beautiful and simple (but in the positive meaning) music instrument and that is in my opinion the best compliment an audio component can receive.

The P25 does not reproduce music; instead it makes music. It is as simple as that.

Purchased At:   Local Hifi shop

Submitted by bubbles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I previously owned a Rega planner 3 RB200 with a goldring 1042,and was never 100% convinced with it,yes it was great for the money,but never quite hit the spot.So Imset out to change it,and try to find something better,for a reasonable price,there are many Linn LP12 going for this sort of price in the UK,but for me in Spain it was harder or impossible to find.I had in mind to try the Project6 as it looked stunning,so I set off to the dealers and came home with the P25,but why?....
I was expecting to much over the planner 3..wrong! it was a great improvement,all aspects of the performance improved.The treble was far cleaner and much more focused,there seemed less crackles and pops making through to the speakers.
Midrange was well textured and was smooth,voices were natural and there was no hardness or harshness to be found.Moving on to the bass,which was maybe a slight critisim could appear is that it was maybe a touch on the lean side,it certainly timed well,but i felt lacked some authority and power,which were traded off for a quicker snapier presentation.
But the best was still to come,I had been using a Goldring 1042 and a shure MX97e,but I thought the deck had more to give,and i wasn't hearing it at its best.
So what could I do? Firstly i lokked at the arm,it was the exellent RB600,a improved arm over the classic RB300,with better tolerances,which come with better interconnects which are fitted with some rather classy neutric plugs,which give a firm tight connection.The end stub comes with a tungston counterweight,I read good things about the Origin Live arm mod,so for £75 thought I would add it to the RB600,the work was easy to do,a 5 minute job,the weight was reset,and the stylus hit the groove,I was blown away,the bass was the greatest improvement,at last some of the authority was there,it had far greater definition,and timing,I also felt the soundstage widened,and the sound had gained a degree of more resolution.
The next change was to the stylus,I was using the MM pkono stage of a Copland Valve amp,so I decided to try the Shure V15mkIII,I found one going for a good price,put it on the arm,reset again the pressure lowered the needle and I was not prepared for what I was about the hear,want to know why so many people prefer vinyl? well here is the answer,this combo rocked,I just coudn't believe what I was hearing,it blew CD into the weeds,and really showed just how cgood the P25 really is,and just what the deck is really capable of,the sound soars free of the speakers,taps you on the shoulders and says "hey listen to this!" and draws you into the listenig experience,the sound is so clean, natura,it gets you foot tapping and put a grin so wide on you face,you'll love it,midrange keeps that smoothness,nothing is forced upon,as you are transfixed by the sound your getting,timing is good, bass at last has the authority to get thoes speakers pounding,the Shure really suits this deck to a tea.

All in all i delighted with the P25,for a reasonable price,it will easily see of high end cd players,It will play 33 and 45,it's a simple set up and go,no fiddling around with a suspension system,wondering if it set up right or not a la Linn,just give it a nice supprt,rack to sit it on,to get it play its best.
It looks far better than the planner and has a choice of picture frame surronds that can be changed,I chose the cherry finish and it looks lovely.

The interconnects are classy,there is no hum anywhere and mine plays at the correct speed.the deck is manual so if your lazy forget it,bit you don't know what you'll be missing.

A slight dissapointment i fopund is the paintwork on the arm is poor,it looks nice in silver,but wears off very easily,which is a great shame,as it makes it look worn and older than it is.

So a really great deck that will have you playing vinyl over and over again,and will tell you exactly why vinyl will never die!!

FGH 26: