Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck LP

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
No on\off switch???? This can't last? No returns to the manufacturer? What is this transperancy you speak of? Soundstage? Bottomless noise floor? All these things in the right measure?
All these questions are ones I had, and was posed, when I went to preview this table. I was told this and that and promised the same and more. I blocked all that and this and did what I do best....I closed my eyes and let my ears be my guide. WOW!!
It's funny to read the reviews of those who did not like this product. My immediate suspicion is that they(the sales staff~sorry) did not match the t.t with the right cart. or phono stage. Those who do this sort of thing a lot know that this is what it's all about(I have wasted so much of my valued $ to be able to say this with confidance). This table is great....it needs the right cart.(originally demoed with a dynavector m.c. cart.~and I'm sure it was good as they are a very good company~just not right for this application-way too bright) and the right phono stage and so on...
I'm lucky to have this table and all that seems right for it. It's not overly expensive stuff either(I know that it's all relative)....but, an Ortofon 2M Black[holly canoli's] and a G.Slee Era Gold V seems to do the trick quite nicely....everything is presented in the right measure....you know what I mean!
There is so much product on the market these days and lots of competition. I have sampled so much and got so tired and bored with other combos, I can't tell you!!!!! Would I have bought another table with another cart.and phono stage....maybe, but, it wasn't there for me to audition. Will this be my last rig......Yes...I am, at last, satisfied!

Disclaimer....the fun part really....if I find myself with a ton of dispable income I may go into the field again!

Be well, enjoy the power of vinyl and really listen to the music- that's what it's all about~~~ F.B.

Submitted by analogue a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
When my brand new Spacedeck arrived, the Spacearm was snapped in two at the pivot point. It had been tossed in a foam cut-out in the box (which itself was extremely sturdy) no special box or packing for the arm, not even a bag. The exposed pivot spike didn't appear to be precision engineered at all, it looked like the tip of a nine penny nail. In fact, nothing at all impressed me about the feel or design of the arm. I sent the broken arm back to the dealer and installed an SME 309 instead.

The Spacedeck design is very simple. There is no on/off switch, you simply spin the platter manually and the motor takes over. I was overall pleased with the sound but was not blown away by it. I had owned a Rega P25 for several years previous to getting a Spacedeck. The Spacedeck has a darker, more palpable presentation than the Rega. Music sounds a little meatier. a little richer. The Rega had a more dynamic, livelier presentation. After owning the Spacedeck for two years, I simply did not hear the dramatic improvement over the Rega some others have hailed. Truly, spending the money on a better cartridge installed on the Rega will yield sonic improvements over the more costly Spacedeck with a lesser needle.
The Spacedeck's great weakness is that it's very expensive for what you get. The quality of materials, engineering, fit and finish, of the Michells and VPI's, even Rega surpasses the Spacedeck any day. If you look at a Rega RB700 and compare it side by side to ANY Nottingham arm, the Rega is hands-down superior in every way. I'd take the new P5 (which I had for a year) over a Spaceck. To me the Rega is better designed and better built. The painted wood base that sits beneath the Spacedeck is superfluous to the design (as is Rega P25's wood trim).
I currenlty own a Tecnodek and I think it is far better than the Spacedeck
The cheap rubber-ball feet are silly compared to the Michells engineered pods. The motor is nicer on the Michell and so is the spindle design. The Tecnoarm absolutely shames the Spacearm.

Summing up, I don't fault the sound, I rather liked the Spacedeck's rich presentation and unfussy delivery. Ease of use - no clamp here - is also a strength. Quality while by no means poor, is not on par with its peers. When cost is factored in, the Spacedeck falls far short. I have owned a Tecnodek for a year now. While it's been too long to compare sonically to the Spacedeck (and the arms were different) difference in fit and finish and actual quality is night and day.

Years later, I briefly owned a Nottingham Horizon. I noticed the Rega RB300 arm vibrating! This turned out to be a design flaw which Nottingham subsequently corrected in the Special Edition - NO vibration model. The new Horizons came with a free standing motor. Both models are now discontinued. The cost of the Spacedeck has gone up, but my faith in the company and the integrity of their designs has dropped precipitously.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Satellite to the Sta

Submitted by claude BEAR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bonjour , pour moi c'est le meilleur produits du Monde que j'ai jamais ecoute et le meilleur du meilleur.
Que je recommand a tous Audiophiles d'avoir chez eux, car il ne le regreteront pas.

A tres bientot.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   1000

Submitted by Kingfisher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
My best friend recently bought a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck to replace his old LP12 and, when he was sent to work away for 6 weeks, he left it with me for safe keeping. I could not resist testing it out. It is fitted with an Ortofon Rohmann cartridge.

Firstly, the build is awesome. It is TOTALLY different from my own PT Anniversary which is light and delicate as befits a suspended deck. This is massive. So is the sound, which has huge scale and space and fabulous dynamics. The level of background noise is extremely low, almost at CD levels but the sound is infinitely superior to any CD. The 3D image this deck produces is very convincing. In all it is a HUGE improvement over the LP12 in every respect.

How does it compare with the PT Anniversary? Well the PT extracts a bit more detail from the record - you can hear nuances which are missing on the Spacedeck. The PT is more neutral and instruments sound a little more natural, too. But the Spacedeck is slightly more involving and is very nearly as good overall and the PT was somewhat more expensive. Both have subterranean but very dry, clear bass. I would love to put an SME V on it as I think this might improve it further. This is one of the best decks available, regardless of price. As such, it has to have 5 stars.

I let my friend have it back - eventually!

Purchased At:   Not known

Submitted by hammondb2bv a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
This table is a must for any music enthusiast who still loves vinyl. Most of the reviews here hit the basics, but the most impressive of the Spacedeck is the "timing" of the music, and the "feel" of what you're hearing. The low end is tighter than any digital media could encounter, part of the beauty of analog. Digital is a lot of things, but there a few BIG things they are not. A warm, musical, solid built turntable. This is my last table. In my "B" system, I have a modified Technics SL-1200MK2, and while the modifications have improved it's performance (yes you audio know it all's haven't heard a modified 1200 have you....it will out perform any rega, or music hall table, properly equipped) the Spacedeck is just something in it's own league; special!

Purchased At:   Audible Elegance