Music Hall MMF-2.1 TurnTables

3.9/5 (48 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

• Manual belt drive turntable with medium-mass tonearm and Goldring Elan moving magnet phono cartridge with spherical stylus and 5.0 mV output
  • Medium-mass tonearm with adjustable arm height, damped cueing, and anti-skating
  • Package includes felt turntable mat, cartridge alignment protractor, hinged dustcover and 45 RPM adapter

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by frenchmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
    Ok...I've read many reviews about the Muisc Hall 2.1 with the Tracker or Goldring Elan and the pros and cons about it.

Now that I found my problem...having the MC switch on with a MM cart and having corrected the problem...this seems to be not a bad, but a very capable entry level table and cart for someone looking to get into vinyl under $500 and even so at the demo/discounted price of $249. Could the combination be better?? Im sure it can be improved upon...At retail when new it cost ruffly $400 bucks Even at the full retail price, the sound that it spits out can be said to be a full bargain considering you get a decent cart and tonearm....very listenable. For the price I paid for the table alone was way cheaper than the interconnects and speaker cable in the rest of my outfit. The Music Hall table came tripled box from MusicDirect The outer box was full of peanuts with the two other boxes containing the 2.1. After removing the table, setup was very easy. Remove two screws holding the TT motor in place, balance the arm, loop the anti-skate weight around its post , set the tracing, put on the belt, sit the platter, and lastly remove the guard on the Tracker and you're ready to go. It all takes about 15 minutes for a newbie, about 5 for those who have experience. After my embarrassing 4 days of figuring out the MC switch was on...on the preamp, and having switched it back to MM, I preceded to listen, and listen is what I do best. This is where the big payoff with the small fee paid comes in....Its a real bargain for this table....its like stealing...you get much more than you paid. Being a Jazz lover...I mean bop, I had to go for the gusto right away....I mean after a buddy having already told me what he thinks about horns and Vinyl I had to see for my self and I was not disapointed. First up was the Hard Bop of none other than the Master Dexter Gordons master piece "Gotham City". Dexter on Sax, George Benson on guitar, Cedar Walton on piano, Percy Heath on bass and Art Blakey on drums. A 1981 recording. The first thing I noticed was the bass was not as I thought it should be and the whole presentation sounded thin. But I was surprised at how Gordons sax sounded. It was more robust than I previously remembered, and Blakey...one of the all time greats on drums sounded so in tune and up front. I could hear him just as clear. I was wondering if vinyl could sound as clear as CD and now I know it can. The overall presentation was clear but I was wondering about the bass. Even with the sub turned on it was still distant as if the sub was not even on. Next up was Benny Carter and His Orchestra with Colman Hawkins, Jo Jones, Phil Woods, Jimmy Garrison Charlie Rouse,Dick Katz and John Collins. A 1961 recording.The various sax players sounded very good with clear tones, and the position of the different saxes could easly be pointed out with the large sound stage the 2.1 presented. In comparison, the Dexter Gordon album had a more narrow sound stage. The drums where just as clear on this album as it was on the Gordon album, but what I did notice was more back ground noise and hiss for this recording, At loud portions of the recording, like when two or three sax's where playing at the same time, I could hear that the Goldring cart had a hard time tracking the notes...there was a distortion that could be heard when the sax's altogether played loud. Next up was one of my favorite sax players...known for the tone of his sax. Paul Desmond. His album "Glad to be Unhappy" Desmond on alto sax, Jim Hall on guitar, Gean Wright and Gean Cherico on bass, and the great Connie Kay on drums. This is a very mellow album. And Desmond plays with a lots of passion and emotion. This is where I was extremely pleased with the 2.1 and the tracker. Every note of Paul Desmonds emotionally charged playing came through loud and clear. I was extremely moved by what I was hearing. Alone with the mellow soft sound of Jim Halls guitar and the tap of the cymbals of Connie Kay on drums in the fashion of Jimmy Cob when he played the drums on Miles Davis tune "kinda Blue" just gave me goose bumps. IF you want a mellow mood..laid back just chillin kinda grove, do you self and get this recording on Vinyl...Paul Desmond "Glad To Be Unhappy". Im sure you can find it somewhere...I got mine from a used album store. This is a great album. Any one of the few recordings Paul Desmond did with Jim Hall is worth getting. The last album before bed, (office call at 4am)....I had to listen to some vocals . I put on an old album I picked up 2 days ago...Nat King Coles "Unforgetable". The strings sounded natural as well as the drums and bass. But the voice of Nat Cole was just as clear and I could hear him as he took his next gasp of air before he sang the next note. You really cant appreciate a great voice until you hear it as clear as can be.

My curiosity about vinyl and turntables in today's world is settled and it's greater than ever. I had not really listen to vinyl sense the 80's.

The Music Hall entry level 2.1 has been long replaced by the Music Hall 2.2. Its a very musical entry level turntable for any one who is looking to get into vinyl. Dont worry about the debates about Music Hall/Pro-Ject versus Rega for now. While the Music Hall entry tables are very good for the money, I dont see the entry level Rega P2 stock being to far ahead in what it can offer at a slightly greater price.

I cant wait to try a better cart with a few tweaks. The table does not rumble or have any back ground noise cept for the back ground noise of a bad recording.

If you want to get into vinyl...the Music Hall entry level tables are a great bargain....at least it was for me.

__________________

Submitted by starguygwb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
    I see alot of people complain about this table as if it were a high end product, its not! It's a very good entry level doorway into Vinyl. I wanted to see how a new table would sound like compared to my directdrive Tecnnics, and the mmf 2.1 seemed least exspensive enough to do the job. The cartridge that came with the table didn't stay on very long, I replaced it with a Ortofon super om30. It got alot quieter,and seemed to open up some. I can't believe home quiet this table is.One thing of note, open the dust cover when using and it gets rid of any rumble that I can hear. And no interference with my Martin Logan subwoofer at all. I must admit that I'm going to upgrade soon, but after all this was a test to see if new gear outdoes the old. I think anyone looking at a low price point, or a step toward a higher end rig wouldn't go wrong. I've heard people complain about the bad wiring. I've always treated my gear with the utmost care, from my directdrive table to my B&W 805s speakers. My point is some people treat their gear kinda rough and then wonder why it breaks when others use their gear for years without mishap.

Purchased At:   Music Direct

Submitted by 7.62Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
    I bought this turntable for my second system, and I have enjoyed it, after a few changes. It appears to be well made, and it is simple. The cartridge that was supplied was not of my taste. I didn't like it at all, to the point I wasn't using it at all. One day, I came across a slightly used Grado red cartridge at a good deal, so I gave it a try. There is no comparison, this turntable came alive! There is a bit of rumble, but there are ways to reduce this. Playing Classic rock, this is the budget set up.

Purchased At:   audioadvisor.com

Submitted by Rudy64 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
    While this is a good entry-level "audiophile" turntable, I can't recommend it due to its rather flimsy build quality and use of cheaper materials. The biggest complaint I've seen on this model are that the delicate tonearm wiring is easy to break off; in fact, mine had one wire broken off inside the arm, which means either the tonearm would need to be rewired, or the tonearm replaced with a new one. (Music Hall wants $160 for a new arm.)

The anti-skating is also not very adjustable--you are given only three "notches" on a post to adjust it. The motor uses a clever rubber suspension system to isolate it from the turntable base (it is suspended by a clamped-down BUNA o-ring), but the torque of the motor also tilts the motor slightly at an angle relative to the platter, which could be a potential future problem. The dust cover hinges are nothing more than L-shaped rods held in place under friction, unlike true spring-loaded hinges in other turntables.

The included cartridge is not all that great--at this level, you're better off replacing it with something like a Shure M97XE that has better tracking and a neutral tonal balance. (Music Hall should offer this without the cartridge as an option.)

I could recommend this to someone who wanted a budget, entry-level "audiophile" turntable for lighter usage, but if you're going to be playing a lot of vinyl, I'd look elsewhere for something more sturdy. I've heard of too many other dissatisfied MMF-2.1 owners to feel good about recommending this to everyone.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by drbrousters a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
    Bought this demo from audio advisor and a demo Grado Red cartridge. The $269 included shipping with mounted cartridge.

I will say that this combination is a great way to experience vinyl 2 channel audio. After listening to CD's on a good quality Player and a few LP's on a cheap Turntable, this is a treat. It helped me better understand the reason audiophiles use the term "musical" to describe good quality sound. It truly is a musical combination. The instruments sound like instruments. Bass is well-defined and solid. Guitars sound like they are being strummed. Everything is crisp and natural. I'm glad I did this.

For those who have had a less than positive experience, try a cartridge updgrade.

That having been said, I will not ignore the negatives:
    1) Surface noise and scratches. They are atill there and still annoying.
    2) Amplifier hum. I grounded this turntable to both the pre-amp and amp, but a hum is still audible (though very low in volume).
    If those things keep you from enjoying the music, spend your money on a CD player.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor