LINN Basik TurnTables

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Linn Basik Turntable

Submitted by Gino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a used Linn Basik turntable with a Linn Basik Plus arm in fall 2010. My cartridge is a Denon DL-110. What a musical machine it is! It performs better than a Rega Planar 2 with a J.A. Michell Tecnoarm, and it costs less! The main qualities of the Linn Basik are dynamism, warm atmosphere, firmness and smoothness. Some people say that the Linn Basik is less detailed than the Rega Planar 3. I don't agree with this argument because if you use a detailed cartridge such as a Denon DL-110, you will get plenty of details and nuances from the Linn Basik. The comparison between both turntables is easy to do, here is a suggestion. Listen to the album Procol Harum live with the Edmonton symphony orchestra on both turntables with the same cartridge. After your listening session, I am certain that you will choose the Linn. Regarding the arm, the Linn basik Plus is a great arm with no play or friction in its bearings. In all, the Linn Basik turntable is in my opinion an underrated turntable which deserves more respect for what it is really capable of.

Submitted by davetruestory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I but this TT in early 90's and even I tried others like Rega 2 and VIP 19 jr, I always return to the Basik. Mine have the Akito arm mounted, by the way I have used this tonearm with mc without a problem you only have to adjust the anti-skating to 75% of the tracking force. The sound of the Basik is laid back compare so cartridge that have recessed highs like the Grado turn to become boring in the long run. The TT preferred more accurate cartridges like Sumiko Blue Point, AT, and Denon.

Submitted by che999 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
Maybe linn is the end of the world ,but everytime you have a problem, they sugested you to buy a new upgrade. i have a problem with
the counterweight of a basik tonearm
Linn sugestion: buy an akito

Submitted by Chris Sturmer a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
My dealer set up a "new" Linn Basik/ Akito for me from never-used spare parts, including an LP 12 bearing. After listening to it first, I thought it was wailing - but it was really the much-too-soft mounting. The player it so incredibly accurate, it immediately reveals all weaknesses of the ground. When your Linn dealer says: place it light and stable, he means VERY stable. I believe most Basiks with a soggy bass are just not placed right - I suggest using 18 mmm multiplex boards with screwed-in spikes (a good, affordable base for almost all HiFi products). At the moment, I am still trying to set up my chain for handling all the energy the Basik delivers! Also, it is far more musical than the P25 and just gives more realism to instruments and voices. With a decent pickup the Basik is good for astonishing listening fun!

Purchased At:   Die Steiner Box

Submitted by Carlos Silva a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Basik is a very natural sounding record player, capable of communicating all the important aspects of the music being played. It's very euphonic and unfussy, always sounding as if everything is ok. It is very easy on the ear.
It goes well with classical and jazz but I think it would also be good with rock and pop.
I have owned Thorens TD 166 II and 320 which are suspended subchassis and both were much more critical of the surface where they were siting than the Linn. I have used the Linn on a coffee table and on Target TT2 table, and although it presented differences it never really was too unhappy. Now it is siting on a Target AER3 rack with very satisfactory results and no problems.
The Linn is fuller sounding than the TD 166II and more communicative and easy on the ear than the Thorens TD320.
The weaker point is the bass, which could be purer. But even the bass is full , informative and pleasant sounding. Perhaps it isn't the ultimate record player in detail, but all the important things of the music are there.
My initial idea was to buy the Linn Axis but after listening to the two of them in my home I found the Basik was more musical and natural sounding (although it was the cheaper one and less praised by the press), the Axis being drier and colder.
My setup is Linn Basik/Akito/K9 - Rega Elex - Rega EL8