Kenwood KD 55R TurnTables

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLE

Submitted by DAVID a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2016

Bottom Line:
I've used this turntable for many years. I've also had Technics SL-1200 mk2's which I used for djing, but sold several years ago.

For under $100.00, this turntable is not a bad buy. It has exceptionally good damping for a turntable of this class - actually just as good as the aforementioned 1200's, which were $550.00 new. It is ultra-reliable. Mine is still going strong after 20+ years of ownership with zero maintenance. The quality of the tonearm is reasonably good with tracking weight within tolerance of recommendations. It will NOT ruin your vinyl. There is no wow-and-flutter noticeable to me.

Unfortunately, it is a sub-$100.00 turntable, so it does not sound as good as the more expensive offerings. You are limited to mostly lower-grade p-mount cartridges. Mine has an AT92E cartridge on it and it sounds decent, but not as full as the Shure cartridges I had on the technics. Anti-skate is not adjustable. Sound degrades noticeably as the tonearm moves into the inner 20% of the platter with any stylus I've used over the years, and you can't customize the tonearm or plynth.

Still, if you're looking to step into vinyl collecting but are not sure about buying the expensive offerings from VPI, Clearaudio, etc., this is not a bad turntable to start with. It is a hands-down far better choice than any of the cheap Crosley, Jensen, or Teac "retro" turntables on sale. Do not even consider those.

Submitted by GEORGE LYNCH a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1998

Bottom Line:
THIS TURNTABLE CAME IN A "SPECTRUM" RACK SYSTEM I PURCHASED BACK IN 1986. THE REASON I AM SENDING THIS REVIEW IN IS BECAUSE FROM WHAT I SAW AT BEST BUY, KENWOOD HAS NOT DONE MUCH TO CHANGE THEIR TURNTABLES IN THE LAST 12 YEARS. FOR THOSE OF YOU LOOKING FOR AN INEXPENSIVE TURNTABLE, LOOK ELSEWHERE THIS IS A VERY MEDIOCRE MODEL. I MUST ADMIT I HAVEN'T REPLACED THE CARTRIDGE (HAVE REPLACED THE P-MOUNT STYLUS), BUT ANY CHANGE WOULD BE AN IMPROVEMENT. THE SOUND HAS A PRONOUNCED MID-HIGH EMPHASIS. BASS RESPONSE SEAMS VERY LIMITED AND HAS A "BOOM BOX" LIKE THUMP.
I DIDN'T EXPECT AUDIOPHILE SOUND FROM THIS UNIT, BUT COMPARED TO SIMILARLY PRICED UNITS FORM ALMOST ANY MASS MARKET ELECTRONICS COMPANY, THIS UNIT IS LACKING. IT HAS A REAL "LIGHT WEIGHT PLASTIC" FEEL AND THE TONE-ARM MOVES LESS THEN SMOOTHLY. IF YOU AREN'T REAL SERIOUS ABOUT RECORDS (I HAVE ONLY ABOUT 5 THAT I LISTEN TO WITH ANY FREQUENCY) AND CAN PICK ONE UP FOR CHEAP AT A PONSHOP (LESS THEN $60 I HOPE), THEN THIS MAY BE A DECENT BUY. DO TRY TO REPLACE THE CHEAP CARTRIDGE THOUGH. IF YOU ARE ON A BUDGET, I RECOMMEND ANY CHEAP MODEL FROM TECHNICS. PONSHOP SHOPS SHOULD HAVE MANY OF THESE MODELS DUE TO PEOPLE RETIRING PARTS OF THEIR RACK SYSTEM THEY NO LONGER USE.

THIS UNIT WAS THE WEAK LINK IN A SURPRISINGLY DECENTLY PERFORMING RACK SYSTEM (GREAT POWER AMP AND PRE-AMP). I HAVE REPLACED ALL THE OTHER PARTS OF MY SYSTEM, BUT HANG ON TO THE TURNTABLE DUE BECAUSE MY LIMITED RECORD COLLECTION DOES NOT WARRANT AN UPGRADE.

THE UNITS RCA CABLES ARE PERMANENTLY CONNECTED TO THE REAR OF THE UNIT (THIS MAY BE COMMON WITH TURNTABLES- I DON'T KNOW). MY CONCERN IS THAT I HAD TO REPLACE ABOUT HALF OF THE PATCH CORDS THAT CAME WITH MY KENWOOD RACK SYSTEM DUE TO FAILURE (ONE CHANNEL WOULD STOP WORKING). SO I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS THAT THESE DON'T FAIL.