DUAL CS-515 TurnTables

Belt-Drive 2 speed Turntable w/Ortofon OM-10 cartridge

Submitted by braddy dee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased my CS515 second hand in '92. It was a few years old and ragged! Never the less I still dropped $100 on it. I purchased and installed an Ortofon OM5 which I used until December 2012. I've since upgraded it to an Ortofon Super OM 10 (which significantly eases inner groove distortion). I've also replaced the garbage RCA with some nicer gauge plugs a while ago. Additionally, I've added some deadening material under the platter and the motor. Both have helped reduce vibration/surface noise. This isn't a top end tt, but it's a really nice one that I am attached to! My tastes, styles, listening habits, gear, and set up has changed a hundred times, but not my Dual CS 515! I hope I'm still enjoying this unit in my '60s!

Submitted by JRG a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
This turntable which I purchased brand new in 1985 has been a sort favorite of mine over the years. No matter how many upgrades I do to my audio/video system, my 515 has been the one constant over the years.
Since 1985 the 'Table has undergone some surgery. The crap RCA cables were replaced with Monster Cable Interlink 300. The cartridge turned into a Shure M97HE and now is a Stanton D70. There are better turntables and better cartridges out there no doubt, but I have played MoFi 200g vinyl, CBS Mastersound, and others with much delight. Yes the bass can be a bit tubby depending on the record pressings used, but the midrange and the sweet top-end of vinyl has no comparison to my rock an roll ears. Inner groove distortion is something one must live with at this end of the price spectrum, unfortunatly

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile