ClearAudio Champion Magnum
Description: <ul> <li>Construction details: Resonance optimised shape, belt drive</li> <li>Speed change: 33 1/3 and 45 rpm. (78 rpm optional)</li> <li>Platter material: GS-PMMA / acrylic, Surface CNC-precision milled</li> <li>Signal to noise ratio: 83 dB</li> </ul>

Submitted by Sidney French a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
My Wife and I were looking to upgrade our turntable so we visited the only High-end audio dealer there is in Birmingham, AL, Audio Forest.

After meeting the guys that own the shop and touring some of the listening rooms that had digital sources, we went in to the room with the big JM-Lab Utopia loudspeakers. There sitting on the rack was this beautiful turntable. We asked to listen to some LPs they had on the table. The sound was breathtaking. After our listening session, my Wife asked, "How much?". Mike went to the office and came back with the price, $1500 off the suggested. She had asked me if it was a good 'table while he was gone and since I had read some reviews, I told her that "we will never need another". She bought it without blinking an eyelash!

Sound-wise it is an example of just how far this 100 year old format has come. Smooth but articulate, Detailed but not edgy, in a word: Clean. The 3 components that make up a turntable: tonearm, platter and cartridge work together perfectly.

It really is a work of art. My only real complaint is that before turning on the motor, I have to nudge the platter a little. Mine you, the platter is a massive 70mm thick!

Product model year:   2009