Stanton 881 mkII
Description: Moving Magnet Cartridge <li>Frequency Response: 10 to 25kHz</li> <li>Output @ 1kHz: .9mV</li> <li>Channel Separation @ 1 kHz: 35dB</li> <li>Channel Balance @ 1 kHz: within 1dB</li> <li>Tracking Force: 0.75 to 1.25 grams</li> <li>Stylus Tip: special elliptical 0.3 x 0.7 mil</li> <li>DC Resistance: 900 ohms</li> <li>Inductance: 510 mH. Nom.</li> <li>Cartridge Weight: 5.5 grams</li> <li>Recommended Load: 47 kOhms, 275 pF</li> <li>Replacement Stylus: D6800 HiFi</li>

Submitted by harrymusgrave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
Back in the 70's and 80's I was a beer budget audiophile. I designed and built my own speakers and shuffled speakers and phono cartidges a lot since they made real differences you could hear. If I tried, I could hear the difference between a MOSFET and a regular transistor amp. I had three expensive (to me) cartridges: Shure V15 type IV, Ortofon OM 30 and a Stanton 881S. These were the top three I ever owned, and I still have them packed away for the someday I get my LPs that are currently 6000 miles away... The Stanton was my favorite. The sound of the Shure was less open, more 'gritty'. The Ortofon was less 'musical'. I always thought the superior transient response of the Stanton is what made it sound better. It used Stanton/Pickering's quadrophonic design to extend the frequency response to 40 KHz. This required a more compliant stylus with good transient response.