Shure M97xE
Description: <LI> Standard 1/2 inch Tone Arm Mount <LI> Moving magnet <LI> Dynamic Stabilizer damper / de-statcizer <LI> Die cast aluminum mounting block <LI> Side Guard stylus protection system <LI> Tracking Force Range: 0.75 to 1.50 grams <LI> Optimum Tracking Force: 1.25 grams <LI> Recommended Load: 47 kilohms in parallel with 250 pf <LI> Net Weight 6.6 grams <LI> Height 15.875 mm

Submitted by rb7399 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a Dual 1229 to play with. I had Bill at Fixmydual.com go thru it and replace the interconnects with the wire of his choice. I had a M75D (Bright) than a M91ED (Good) on it. I also tried my Grado Ref Ref 1.5mv cartridge. Not good on the Dual, noisy. The Grado Ref Ref is great on my Thorens TD 124.

I bought 2 of these, as I seen the prices going up. Sounds great in the dual 1229 straight out of the box. Sounds similar to my Van Den Hul MC10 Special on my VPI Aries. Very easy to listen to and low noise. Lots of detail and great solid bass, played thru Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers I find the MM preamp in my Marantz PM17 MKII works well with it.

It played the HIFI Test record torture tracks perfectly at 1.25 gm.

The M97XE is just right for the Dual 1229, not to hot and not to cold.

Submitted by PAUL THOMAS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have a modified Technics SL1210 with SME 309 arm (latest 2010 version) and external power supply, isonoe isolators etc. I also upgraded to a Lehmann Black Cube Series 2 phono pre-amp. I kept my M97xe and fitted it with a new stylus and I am amazed at how well it performs. It obviously benefits hugely from the SME arm (which is a high end item designed for more expensive cartridges). The main thing is how secure the sound is with no mistracking or end of side distortion. The sound is well matched to my system with good imaginary, plenty of detail and punchy base. Clearly this is a very good cartridge and at the moment I see no need to upgrade. As a bonus it is not expensive to change the stylus if needed and no need to send away to be re-tipped. Tracking force is 1.25gm - I dont use the stabilizer. Highly recommended

Submitted by Gino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I use this cartridge on a Technics SL-1200 mk2 turntable with a Rega RB600 arm. I really like this cartridge, for it is a nice match with the Technics. The overall performance of this cartridge is really good for the price; in fact, it is dynamic, soft, warm and essentially neutral. The tracking is amazing with the Rega RB600 arm, so it doesn't have any difficulty to play wraped records. It is not as detailed as a Denon DL-110, but it is an enjoyable one. In all, a nice product at an affordable price and a 5 stars for its good value.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by vmed_cha_gr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
Best phono cartridge for the price, and to tell you the truth much better than others 3 times of its price. Needs more than 100 hours of play to show its amazing sound.
Be patient when you alighn it. I use a technics sl1210mk2 and took me quite some time to alighn it with the technics protractor.
Neutral sound, which means that if you have a record with bad production you better not use it with this cartridge.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by FAP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
I had already tried to post a review of this cartridge, but sadly after all my efforts it disappeared into cyberspace somewhere never to be seen again it would seem! I admit to being a fan of the M97xE. I now have three at fitted to different turntables and all giving great service. I bought my first M97xE in 2004 and I admit that I was somewhat disappointed with it.

However I've since come to realize that my basic lack of knowledge was the main reason for the poor perceived results. A couple of things to watch. Correct overhang adjustment (yes it is a fiddly process), and careful attention to optimised tracking weight with due compensation for the dynamic stabiliser which is always is used in my set-ups.

The third thing to watch is optimised electrical 'loading'. The M97xE is often described as 'dull and/ or boring' and this is primarily due to a slightly rolled off high frequency response. Whilst this slightly rolled off treble can actually be useful as a means of taming overly bright systems, there are actually ways to 'flatten' the high frequency response. This is a relatively new area of research but essentially this is one cartridge that does not show its best at the standard 47 k input impedance of typical moving magnet cartridge phono preamps.

I have modified my own DIY preamps for a (resistive) input impedance of 62 k with significantly improved upper treble. Sadly though, altering the input impedance involves component replacements which is essentially impossible for most listeners unless one is conversant with electronics construction, however another approach works almost as well, and that is keeping the overall input 'shunt' capacitance to the recommended Shure value. This includes tonearm and interconnect cable capacitance and well as phono preamp input capacitance. Too much capacitance simply results in very heavy treble roll off! A capacitance meter is an easy way of measuring overall capacitance, but remember to remove the headshell (and cartridge) for this measurement of course! A value of around 200 picofarads is optimal. Getting the right value of input shunt capacitance really makes a difference. I also have several other top notch moving magnet cartridges, but the M97xE continues to be my favourite with lovely, smooth, musical playback audio quality that I find most endearing.

Purchased At:   Spank Records.