Shelter 201
Description: Shelter 201 moving magnet cartridge

Submitted by Paul1211 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I must add my own comments despite I felt the review above is true.
The important addition is the cart's immediate musicality. Man, it rocks! My primary point in choosing an audio equipment is it's ability to shake my soul. We all know there are only few products ( very few cartridges) able to match this important criteria. Shelter 201 (like the DL-103 with less coherence and a touch more enthusiasm) does. It is my 27th cartridge (...and I'm getting old..." ) and really, I am seeking an MC that is similarly balanced, substantial sounding, musically involving as the 201 but improves on the only thing that may be criticised in the 201 - a slight loss in "air".
Otherwise, it is GREAT - not just for the money. Go and buy one! (And don't forget who suggested this! :-)))
Paul

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Gerald Rickaby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
This unit was purchased slightly used from an Ebay listing. It was mounted on
a Thorens TD 190 TT, not a particulary high end unit, for which I have been trying
to find a decent cartridge match for some time as I also have a Music Hall MMF5
with superior sound as a comparison,but like an automatic turntable. Right out
of the box, lined up with a line on top (which may not be an overhang mark), and
set at a l.75 tracking force, it reminds me of my Clearaudio Aurum Beta S, which mournfully now has a bent shaft and is unusable. Co-incidently, the Beta is a MM also. The 201 is robust with plenty of bass, full midrange and highs and just a very lush nice sounding cartridge, (though not as warm as the Grado Platinum.), The soundstage is slightly forward with excellent detail and ambience. The 201
stands out in some pretty tall company, Such as Denon's DL160, The Goldwings-
1012 and 1042, Grado Platinum, AT 440ML and Ortofon OM 30 and X3 MC. Though
not superior to the Clearaudio Beta S, it is perhaps equal or close (with a much
sturdier stylus shaft) and a better value. This cartridge would appeal to a mid range cartridge purchaser who has at least average equipment and is looking for a MM unit in the $200 to $500 price range. Though at the low end price wise, it will compete with virtually all competitors in this class. I have only played Classical music with it so cannot attest to it's virtues in other music types. Set up took all of 10 minutes. I like it well enough to leave it on the TD190 and get another one for my MMF5 ! A real bargain at the price and a standout from its peers.

Purchased At:   Ebay