ORTOFON Super OM20 Cartridges

Moving magnet cartridge
Body compatible with Super OM10 and OM30 stylus

Submitted by Woochifer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'd been using the OM10 for four years when my second OM10 stylus started to wear out, I decided to upgrade to the OM20. Very simple upgrade, just buy a new stylus and install it.

I knew that the OM20 was step up in that it had a nude elliptical diamond cut, and had a slight improvement in the specs. But, I was not prepared for how huge a performance improvement the OM20 provided. The highs on the OM20 are lively and extended. Can easily match the highs on a CD, but without the harshness of the worst digital culprits. The OM20 also has good extension on the bass. Overall, the cartridge highlights the attributes of good vinyl.

The OM20 is an engaging cartridge. It has a lively personality, and conveys the music in the same vein. It does not lull the listener to sleep like some of the cartridges with fatter sounding midranges. As such, it might sound somewhat thin compared to other cartridges, but its overall interpretation of music works well with all genres.

Unfortunately, the price of the OM20 has ballooned to $195 in recent years. I stayed with the OM20 for over 10 years, only taking time out to swap out the stylus whenever it wears out. Switching out to a Sumiko Black Pearl was a regrettable choice, and I've recently gone back to the OM series with the OM30.

Purchased At:   Rogersound Lab (1987

Submitted by JohnMichael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had not used an Ortofon induced magnet cartridge since I owned a Dual turntable. After a review in Absolute Sound I thought it was time to try one again. The sound is excellent but different from my moving coils. My OM20 is mounted in a Rega Planar 2 turntable. The arm has been rewired with the Incognito cable. The highs are very sweet and accurate without the brightness of some inexspensive moving coils. Bass is very good and tuneful. The tradeoff for me is the lack of depth that moving coils have. Of course in my system I enjoy the OM20's greater dynamics. The high output coils that I have tried made rock music and some large scale classical sound polite. I decide the greater dynamics was more important to me than the depth. One day maybe I can afford a moving coil that will give me everything in one cartridge.

Of course to get the best sound out of this cartridge it has to be set-up correctly. The odd body shape makes this a major pain. I use the MoFi Geodisc and the black cartridge with the black disc is not the most fun I have ever had. Once set up right you will know it. You will notice incredible detail. Also another issue is the new paperwork with the cartridge states the tracking force to be 1.5 grams. I was disappointed with the cartridge at that tracking force. I went to Ortofons web site and saw they were recomending 1.25 grams. I am now using that tracking force and the cartridge is more musical and a better soundstage.

Purchased At:   Needle Doctor