ORTOFON MC-25 Cartridges

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by GeoffRC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the MC25FL to replace an old Ortofon MC15mk2S. I have been through a fair few cartridges over the years and find that I generally prefer the silky sound of a moving coil. I have only just fitted the MC25FL to my Gyrodec/RB300 but I was imediatly impressed by the overal sound in that it was very natural with what appears to be 'lot's of everything'.
Whereas the MC15 tended to a slightly 'plummy' upper bass (like the MC10mk2S) this one has a tight and powerfully extended bass with little or no overhang.The mid range was similar but smoother than the MC15 and the top crisp and clean without any nasties. Additionally there is more detail - not in your face and fatiguing but a pleasant musical picture that hangs together as a whole. I noticed things like a Bass player left a finger touching a string after it was plucked resulting in a slight
buzz at the end of a note on a piece of music I thought I knew inside out.
I know there is always something better out there - but this is great sound for the money and I got it cheaper by exchanging my old one.
If you are concidering somthing in this price bracket - then I would thoroughly recomend this - unless you want something less neutral.

Purchased At:   Francis of Streatham

Submitted by Harry Kaitis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
And i thought the standard MC25 sounded good!
After an naughty drape was blown by the wind and chopped off my MC25's cantilever, i sent my cartridge to Van Den Hull where they replaced the original cantilever with a Boron one with a VDH tip.
Wow! The already excellent MC25 became like a million dollars.
Even better tracking, great speed, Dynamics and very flat Balance. Detail retrieval is astonishing competing with much more expensive cartridges.
The sad part is that i really don't know if VDH does this modifications anymore to third party cartridges.
So i hope i will not be disappointed in case i ever want to re-tip my MC25 Van Den Hull(ed)!

Purchased At:   Craft Audio

Submitted by Gabe Zashin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with the review below by Jeff Phillips. The MC-25FL is a great cartridge, it does everything well, bass mids, details, high-end extension. It is definitely one of the best MCs available anywhere near it's price range. It was more detailed than the Grado, and had a much more lush and warm sound then the way more expensive Transfiguration, which might have been a bit more detailed than the MC-25, but sounded harsh in my system. Only problem is i had to return one sample because of excessive noise in one of the channels. The replacement works flawlessly though. If you buy one, just make sure you get a guarantee and use the cartrdige a lot when you first get it. also, get the FL version (fine-line stylus) - harder to set up than elliptical but will have better detail. Value is a definite 5-star rating and I have to give it 5 overall because since it has out performed some very good cartridges.

Purchased At:   needledoctor.com

Submitted by Chris Fagas a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I installed the Ortofon MC25FL low output moving coil phono cartidge last week and have been listening to it intently now that it has about 25 hours on it. It replaced a Sumiko Blue Point Special which I was never very happy with, although I truly tried to like it for the last year. The Ortofon was purchased on sale for only $225 from www.needledoctor.com

The LP rig is a Thorens TD-125 MkII with the new Thorens acrylic platter and stabilizer, with a medium mass Helius Aureus arm on an acrylic armboard. The cartridge was aligned with an Osaka protractor, set to 2.0 grams with a Shure scale and checked thoroughly with the Telarc Omnidisc. VTA was adjusted so that the arm height is just a little lower than level to the record surface. You have to look hard to notice that the back of the arm is slightly lower than the front of the arm. This rig will track anything!

The Ortofon is much warmer and smoother sounding than the BPS, plus it has great bass and the BPS didn't have any! The soundstage is good, but not quite as wide and deep as some more expensive cartridges. However, what is truly impressive is the overall tonal balance which is much more natural than the BPS. The bass is outstanding! I am still scratching my head over why everyone says such great things about the BPS, when it in fact sounds so poor compared to this middle of the product line Ortofon MC25FL.

This experiment really makes me wonder what the more expensive Ortofons sound like, when the MC25FL is already such a fine achievement!

Kind Regards, Chris

Submitted by Jeff Phillips a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Ortofon MC25FL is a real bargain in the world of moving coils. I preferred it to the higher priced MC30 Super MKII. Whereas the MC30 offered much detail, it was "icy" cold. The MC25FL is warmer with a midrange and bass as good as the wood-bodied Grados but with more top end extension.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile