Theta Digital Dread Naught
Description: modular

Submitted by David D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I can't add much to the glowing reviews that have come before mine. I use this in four channel mode (I use phantom mode for the center channel), though I mainly listen to stereo. This is a powerful, yet controlled and very musical amp. If you love music but also have a home theater, this amp is not a compromise. It is simply the best choice for either mode.

Submitted by nikos mendrinos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use the Theta DREADNAUGHT the excellent
power amplifier in 4 channel configuration to bi-amp my hughe B&W 800 Matrix speakers.Is the Best power amp I have heard during the 25 years I am in High End!
The preamp of my system is the Synergy Preamp from Jeff Rowland,the turntable is the Aure/kuzma reference/VdH The Frog,all cables from Cardas.

Purchased At:   2002

Submitted by Stefan Krawczyk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2-channel Dreadnaught to replace my 2x50W Class A baby Krell KSA 50S in my main system, which includes Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage speakers (see review), Theta digital front end, Krell KRC-3 pre-amp and Nirvana SL and SX-Ltd internonnects (speaker cable is Transparent Music Wave Super Biwire).

The Guarneris performed quite well with the little Krell, but needed more juice. I bought the amp without ever having auditioned it, simply based on a dozen or so rave reviews (under the old, tried and trusted motto "if Ken Kessler likes it it must be OK" - see the other elements of my system) and, of course, the invaluable advice of my dealer, which proves once again that at this level (mid high-endish)it is essential to work with a patient and knowledgeable dealer,who knows your system, your tastes and, ideally, the shape and character of your listening space.

I join the growing group of people below and the international p)ress in singing the praises of this amazing amplifier. I don't use it for hometheatre, yet (additional modules have been ordered), but just for simple stereo music listening. With the Dreadnaught in the driver's seat, the speakers sounded immediately bigger without losing any of the detail I had before with Krell. This is a very balanced amplifier that delivers all the goods without unnaturally emphasising certain parts of the musical spectrum. It is not your razor sharp clinically analytical amplifier, but, if that is not your prime interest anyway, this big (and fairly heavy) boy delivers all the goods one should extect from a 250W solid state amplifier. I heard several other amplifiers afterwards, including FPB 300Cx-es from Krell, but I never felt any frustration returning to the Dreadnaught. I am not only going to keep this sweet monster, I am actually going to stuff another couple of modules in and add a few speakers on my way to the multi-channel experience.

Purchased At:   Dé Hifiwinkel, Eindh

Submitted by IN2MUSIK a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the best sounding 5 channel amp I have heard to date, PERIOD!!
I am a Pro installer, and let me tell you, Krell, proceed, Bryston, Parasound, Linn, ATI, ETC.. Dont even compare!
All I have to say is, LIQUID smooth, but with all the detail. Listen to one if your in the market.

Submitted by whatugot a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Simply put, unbeatable for price.
I have the 7 channel 200wattX3 100Wx4.
The performance more than meets my expectations.
Used w/ Lexicon MC12 balanced