Tandberg Troll

Submitted by Scott Campbell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this integrated amp for use with an office audio system (Rega Planet CD player; Krix Equinox speakers). My office is a a 10-foot square box, so the acoustics are not the best, yet this little amp does a great amp with the Equinoxes. Adequate bass, and very clean mid and upper-range. Has 4 sets of line-level inputs. The diminutive size of the unit belies the quality that Tandberg put into this little gem. The unit is no longer manufactured, but if you can find a used model, I strongly recommend it. At $350-400 I give this unit 5 stars for value.

Submitted by Eirik Hole a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought my Troll for a small library/office and a spare set of bookshelf-speakers, and the 2x25 watts and the extremely compact size was what caught my attention in the first place.

Having tested it and found the sound sufficient in the shop, I was surprised to find that it was able to put on a fair to decent performance with all the speaker systems in the house. The way they built this thing I must say the 2x25w are slightly misleading. They are by far the strongest watts I have come up against.

My KEF-Q65's did not stop the tiny black box from filling my living-room with some of my favourite contemporary guitar music. And the Sonus Faber Concertino's upstairs even gave a fair rendition of some of Glen Miller's better moments when hooked up to it. Of course, if compared directly to my Electrocompaniet ECI-1 that normally drives the SF's, the shortcomings are audible. With the soft, warm and extremely spacious picture normally painted by this combination the Troll produces a "closed" sound.

Today this odd little box (always good for an interested
"What's that!?") has a Sony MZR-55 portable Minidisc and a set of Tannoy R1's hooked up to it. For sheer size versus sound quality you cannot do better simply because they don't make them any smaller. Both speakers, amp, minidisc and wiring will go in a plastic shopping bag.

All in all a fun little Troll with a remarkable bite. Take it on your next outing, and enjoy some of the comforts of home away from home.. :)