Spectral DMA-150
Description: solid state power amp

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Spectral/MIT/Avalon 2C3D reference system has long been my favorite of all the high-end systems I have heard. I have purchased this system and have been dutifully upgrading the system to achieve "the ultimate." The first Spectral amplifier to be incorporated into this system was the DMA-180 Series 1. This was followed by the DMA-150. As I have stated elsewhere, the difference I noted between these two amplifiers was that the DMA-150 removed a layer of grain that was present with the DMA-180 Series 1. However, the DMA-180 Series 1 seemed to have a better grip on the bottom end of the Avalon Radian HC (the speaker I was using at the time). The best attributes of these two amplifiers were combined, in my opinion, in the DMA-180 Series 2, which is the amplifier I am currently using. I have not been tempted to trade it in for the "ultimate" Spectral amplifier, the DMA-360. That is because I did not detect any difference in the "sound" of the DMA-180 Series 2 compared with the DMA-360, or more specifically, the control these amplifiers possess over Avalon speakers. It should be noted that my experience with Spectral amplifiers has left me with the impression that they all "sound" the same. They are all neutral in sound and all are endowed with a reliability that gives you a sense of security that the Spectral amp, of any model, is going to work when you want it to. Now, I can't account for the "graininess" I felt I heard with the DMA-180 Series 1 (could be my imagination). However, I believe that the diminished control of the Avalon bottom end when using the DMA-150 was a factor of its power output. The DMA-180 is a more powerful amplifier than the DMA-150, and seems to account for the tighter grip it had over the Avalon when compared with the 150. At least that is my opinion. The other owners of the 150 who have spoken below are, rightly, impressed with their purchase. Ultimately, I feel that the choice of a Spectral amplifier is dictated by the choice of speaker. In my opinion, if you have selected a suitable speaker you will receive the same sound from the Spectral amp, whether it is the $3,200 DMA-90 or the $16,000 DMA-360. Spectral will shortly release the DMA-150 Series 2. I will be interested to hear the proposed improvements Spectral claims for this amplifier. Certainly, if the DMA-150 Series 2 output remains the same, I don't see an advantage of the DMA-150 Series 2 over the Series 1. We'll see. Despite the 150's lack of bottom-end grip over the reference Avalon speakers, I feel that the 150 is worthy of the Spectral name, but it would not be my choice for inclusion into the Spectral/MIT/Avalon 2C3D reference system. I base that strictly on the fact that the Avalon speakers like power and the DMA-180 Series 2 and DMA-360 best the DMA-150 in this regard. As a result, I am forced to rate the DMA-150 with four stars when used within the context of the 2C3D system. Otherwise, it is a five-star performer all the way.

Submitted by tasos kotsikonas a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I originally bought a Spectral DMC-12 preamp without
auditioning it. I was astonished at the sound. I bought
the DMA-150 also without audition a month later, putting
all my trust in the Spectral name and history.

The 150's are driving a pair of Martin Logan SL-3's,
and the DMC-20 S2 as the preamp. There is a spectacular
thruthfullness in the entire spectrum, power, analysis
and accurate positioning of instruments. For the life
of my I cannot identify any shortcoming in the DMC-20+DMA-150 combination, apart from the lack of
"tremendous" power than some other speakers may require.

I consider the 150 a DMA-360 with lesser power. The
Spectral combo will stay in my system for at least 10
years.

I've auditioned other high end amps with the SL-3's;
no Mark Levinson, no Krell or similar can provide the
emotion that the Spectrals portray though the truthfullness
of their sound.

Submitted by Mike a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
The best amplifier that I have ever experienced.Transparent, detailed and powerful.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Harvey a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
Spectral ...Hmmm what I can say still the best with a pair of Avalon Elclipseit offers SUPERB sound.Keep in mind they really sound the best if you use
the MIT cabels.....I do recomend them wholeheartly and give them 10 star