ROTEL RB 980BX
Description: Discontinued, price may be lower. 120 watt stereo amplifier

Submitted by Figaro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this old amp on Ebay based on these Audio reviews. It replaced a dead Denon POA 2800. The reviews were spot on. This amp is dead quiet and very easy to listen to all day long. Very clear sound, good sound stage, crisp bass, great mids, and smooth highs.. At the going used prices for this amp it is one incredible value. I supply this amp through a Yamaha CX-2 pre and it drives Overture 1 bookshelf speakers. High end sound on the cheap.

Submitted by Bert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
The RB 980 was an upgrade of a NAD tuner/amp because of a pair new (used) B&W 803 Matrix S2 in 2002. The Rotel had far more control over the sound (especially the bass) and the sound stage was very good. A year later I sold the NAD receiver and the RB980 was controlled by a Rotel RC 980. Good combination for the money (€160).
In 2004 I completed the set with an as good as nes Rotel CD player RCD 991 (€450).
I upgraded the standard interlinks with self constructed interlinks (good quality microphone cable with golden connectors about €6 per pair, a bargain for the quality)
I am fully satisfied with the sound. I know that an improvement will cost much more money.

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by AJCalhoun a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just recently picked this off during a buying spree on eBay, and could have had it for even less if I'd played my cards right, but it doesn't matter, because it's a great deal and would be even if it were bought today at the MSRP, as far as I'm concerned. I've been looking for an amp of equal power and quality to replace my Yamaha M-40, which is getting up in years and was too darn big to fit in the rack with the Vantas Dolby 5.1 processor/pre-amp I had added recently (another great deal, but another story, told elsewhere on this site). So I found this unit, examined and tested it, found it not wanting in the essentials, and now have put it through the workout and it is definitely in a league with much pricier (new) equipment. It's a little more detailed than the Yam, and also just a tad warmer. With the B&W DM 600 S3's and Boston PV600 powere sub this amp will never have to work up a sweat. The power knob rarely goes beyond 5:35, and that's loud! It's physically smaller and a little lighter than the Yam, built to British standards, extremely clear, clean, and pretty neutral. Just to my liking. It's served via an AudioSource Preamp/Tuner-2, and before you start laughing read my review on that item elsewhere. While Audiosource has put out one dud preamp (the Preamp One/A), this one is far, far superior, and I would rate it right up there with the Rotel 972 preamp that would have been a great companion to this amp. All in all it was a great way to chuck $329, and I'm keeping it til it passes away, which, from the looks of the build and quality components inside, could be a long, long time. I'm happy as a cherrystone clam.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by D. Ocampo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I must say that I was very impressed by this amp. I have a Marantz THX Ultra certified 5-channel amp (175 W x 5) for my HT set-up and this Rotel can keep up with it. I got the amp and pre-amp for a steal and I am using it to drive a pair of NHT ST-4 towers (which sound absolutely fantastic by themselves) using canare starquad cables in a bi-wire configuration. Power is not an issue with this amp as the power supply is huge. Everything is crystal clear and very non-fatiguing while still bordering on the bright side of warm.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tander98 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Compared to my old Kenwood this sounds incredible. At first I used a Caver CT-6 pre-amp, but have upgraded to home theater now and purchased a Rotel RSX-972 receiver. I now use the receiver as a pre-amp for the main channels driving the RB-980BX through Tributaries Silver series interconnects. I am very happy with the sound. It really make my Paradigms sing. All kinds of music is very listenable at all volumes. It does get a little warm at times though.

Purchased At:   Absolute Audio