Pass Labs X 350
Description: 350 Watt Solid-State Power Amplifier - 2-Gain Stages

Submitted by Frank Walker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that had a 250x pass lab at first and it's sound was nice , but with my 4 ohm Eggleston Rosa speakers I needed more juice. So going up to the 350 gave me a stately emprovement . I have Strativary Rosa cables all over that gave the 350 its way of sounding sweet ,smooth in the mids and free of grit , grain or glair. I prefer a more natural tone to my music so I bought a Bat vk5 cd player with a First sound preamp that is a work of art, that combindes power , dynamics and the smoothness that look for . Mr. Pass has a amp for many audiophiles that love there music, because you would be hard pressed to find a power amp out to class the Pass lab . This is a amp that you can love.

Submitted by jgm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
I heard one of these driving big Tannoy's when they first came out and the sound was captivating. I have been searching for one on the used market and found what I consider the deal of the century. This amp just doesn't have a signature that I can identify. After living with this ampfor several months, I now understand why some reviewers had difficulty describing how these amps sound. Stone neutral is the only way to describe this amp...easily qualifying as the most neutral amp I have yet owned. I purchased this unit as a freshly "refurbished" unit. I have had it for several months and I still have yet to find something beyond it's hulking frame to identy it. The one thing this amp does well (for better or for worse) is reveal the rest of the chain. This amp places everything else in your system clearly under the looking glass. The good and bad of such a revealing and neutral amp are obvious: it will force you to re-evaluate your playback chain and will lead, most likely, to more purchases as you realize colorations in other component you hadn't noticed previously.

What can be said about this amp's character? Limitless power. Bass is tight, deep, authoritative and limited by the loudspeaker (in my case, Acoustat Spectra 2's). The highs are again limited by yoiur source components and loudspeakers but is never strained, etched, glaring, or biting. The feeling is extended and relaxed. The midrange is as good as the rest of your system allows...here, the amp just has no character...it is just absent. And music - forget about it. If you like it, you play it and you'll love it. Percussion...human voice...piano...strings...rap...techno...full orchestra...rock...the amp loves it, all of it and you will too. Loud, soft...it doesn't matter to the amp, only to everything else in your chain. I have yet to find an instrument or genre the amp won't handle is if it weren't there.

The main problem with this amp is, paradoxically, a direct result of its best qualities: it is so neutral and revelaing that I hear to a greater extent the limtations (flaws) in my front end and in my speakers...and this will ultimately lead to replacement (more purchases). Moreover, I think I will be forced to chose even more carefully new components that provide equal neutrality.

Build quality is second to none. The amp does give off heat and is heavy, but you can move it by yourself if need be. The only real criticism I have is in regards to the binding posts. They are alligned in such a way that the rear panel carry handles will get in the way of some cables with spades (I had a very difficult time with my PS Audio Statement bi-wire).

Overall, a tremendous product and an absolute bargain on the used market. This is the kind of amp you get to never replace.

Purchased At:   Reno Hi-Fi

Submitted by ash a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
MY SEARCH FOR A AMPLIIFIER IS OVER.ABOUT 6 MONTHS I CAN.T FIND ANY WEAKNESSES.THE REASON FOR THIS REVIEW IS TO SHARE WITH PASS LABS OWNERS OF HOW TO GET THE BEST OF THIS AMP. OR ANY PASS LABS EQUIPMENT.ONE DAY MY AGENT IN SINGAPORE SHOWED ME PHOTOS OF PASS LABS IN THE DEMO ROOM WHILE TOURING THE FACTORY IN U.S.I SAW THE WHOLE SYSTEM WIRED UP WITH NORDOST CABLES.I QUICKLY WIRED MY WHOLE SYSTEM WITH RED DAWN INTERCONNECTS & SPEAKER CABLES.MY WHOLE SYSTEM OPENED UP AND THE FIRST TIME THE SOUND I HEARD IS EMOTIONAL & HAUNTING. I HAVE TRIED VAN DEL HUL SCS6.AUDIOQUEST DIAMOND.WIREWORLD SILVER ECLIPSE 3 ETC.ALL OF THEM AS GOOD AS THEY ARE CANNOT MATCH THE NORDOST CABLES IN A PASS LABS SYSTEM.

Purchased At:   high end research si

Submitted by J Yum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Equipment in use:
Pre: Sonic Frontier Line 3, tubes changed to Telefunken ECC88.
DA : PS Audio SLIII
CD : Marantz CD19
Spearker: B&W Nautilus 803, KEP LS3/5A Piano Black
Cables: Audioquest Exterme Clear, Taralab Air-1 and CARDAS Netural Reference.

I have used the amplifier from Nelson Pass for many years. Started from the Adcom 555 to Threshold T100 , T400 and then PassLabs X350. Since It is too great and nobody would sell it, I needed to spend also a year to book for it from 2nd hand market.

The 1st CD that I played with this amp was piano. I could hear the difference between X350 and T400 although the amp not run-in. I could clearly see how the pianist press his fingers on the piano any play the music. Very detail and accurate!! At the same time, the bass become more controled and more punch when compare with T400.

Purchased At:   2nd hand shop

Submitted by David Lin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have owned too many gears, my wife called me an "equipment-phile" instead. With Sonus Faber Extrema and Dynaudio Confidence 5, I can't enjoy music unless music are amplified grainless.
I am not a solid state person, so I knew shopping would not be easy when I ran out of power on my Sonic Frontier Power 3 (best sound/value tube amp on earth). First came Classe, it has everything I dislike about solid state - edgy top and thin midrange, music sounded coarse. Levinson was smoother every where, but music sounds "sterile" and no soul. Krell brought back the rhythm, but also added some annoyance on top and mid. McCormack was surprisingly good for the money, but reliability was an issue and factory was not helpful to correct my problem. Last came the Pass X350, the first solid state amp that does not remind me of solid state. It has incredible dynamic, coupled with SF Line 3 and Sony SACD player, so every listening session is a new experience. Bottom end is close to the best, but I am not a bass freak and even tube amps can satisfy me. What matters the most is top end; my ears have been spoiled by tube amps and Pass is able to reproduce that inner details without harshness or grain. But nothing is perfect and it also applies to Pass X350. Midrange can sound lean on some system, so careful system matching is required.