Odyssey Audio Stratos
Description: <li>INPUTS: RCA & XLR <li>POWER: 150W x 2-channels <li>OUTPUT CLASS: Class A/AB <li>FREQUENCY RANGE: 2 - 400,000 Hz <li>CURRENT DELIVERY: 45 Amps

Submitted by david brow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
odyssey audio stratos mono extremeswith dual torodial transformers .

The monoblocs work very well with magnepan 3.7 speakers. Plenty of current to play at loud levles without getting hot.They do not shut down when driven hard all day. (most other amps do) Very reliable and very musical on maggie.

Submitted by August West a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
I owned these amps in the past and was thoroughly disappointed in them. They suffer from poor construction and ac hum, and just don't sound that good. They may be decent for the money but certainly no better than that, and paired with the Odyssey solid state preamp they were lean and fatiguing to my ear.

I decided to give them another listen in the Manufacturer's room at the 2011 Rocky Mountain Audio Festival, where I found Klaus giving court to a small group of young audio buffs. I listened carefully and did not hear the ac hum, but I did hear the same sound signature that irritated my ear in my living room and made me feel relieved to be rid of them when I sold them on AudiogoN where they are readily available on the used market every time I have checked. I just don't see that level of turnover in truly well made, good sounding amps. I give two stars because I didn't experience catastrophic failure of the amps, nor did they seem to have any permanent negative effect on my speakers or any of my other equipment. Unfortunately that's the most favorable thing I have to say about them after my experiences with them.

There are some good solid state amps by McCormack, BEL, even NAD, and other manufacturers that I would choose over these in a heartbeat. I would steer a friend toward a modestly powered tube amplifier if suitable for their speakers and musical tastes.

Submitted by PerryC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
WHERE THE HELL DID MY SPEAKERS GO? That's what happens when you start listening (broken-in and left on all the time). For the price, this amp is simply AMAZING!!! Imagine what the price would be if there was a middleman. Maybe the the price will double, the way the STRATOS sounds. I'll make it short. Put all the positive reviews here all together and that will be my review.If you call their tech support, you talk directly to the owner/designer, not some random guy.

I bought mine used for $500...can't complain. And this is a basic model. I'm planning to have it upgraded in the future but for now, I mam very happy with it.

Highly recommended!!!

CANARE Wires
SONY CDP 102 (1985)

Submitted by Ross76 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have a Stratus extreme plus. it was upgraded to that as I had shipping damage on initial delivery. Klaus and Mike have been great in handling the shipping incident and, of course, shipping accidents are not their fault. However, a couple of months after the shipping incident my left channel went kaput. It may have been related to the shipping damage. Nevertheless, Klaus and Mike took good care of me ( twenty year warranty, TWENTY). I have had the amp now, again, for about 4 months. Everything is going great and it sounds great. Meaning, it reveals what is on the recording. Great recordings sound absolutely stunning in clarity, imageing, soundstage, depth, low end and lack of high glare. Poorer recordings don't sound as good ( of course )but do benefit from the ultra revealing nature of the amp. Bottom line I am VERY HAPPY with the service I have got from Odyssey. I also am very happy with the sound of the amp. The only reason for 4 stars is that I had to ship it out twice for repairs. Tthough I don't beieive it is due to poor manufacturing. With trouble free operation for a few more months and I would certainly raise my rating to 5 stars. I have Nestorovic 5AS speakers, Cascade tube pre-amp, OPPO universal, Phillips turntable, PS Audio Duet power conditioner, Transparent, the link, cables. .For the price and performance I am happy I chose Odyssey.

Submitted by Norman Cameron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
After reading the reviews, I talked to Klaus one evening about the Stratos as I was shopping around for a new amp. He asked me what kind of speakers I was using and told me that it would be a good match (this turned out to be true). Klaus says there's a special going on and I'll receive $500 worth of free cap upgrades. So I put the order in and received the amp 7 weeks later. Klaus is very busy these days so don't expect the 4 week turn around delivery time. I plugged in my xlr cables and a hum came out of the speakers. According to Klaus it was wired wrong and offered to fix it. But since I can get it done locally for the cost of shipping, I'll leave it for the time being and use the rca inputs. At first the sound is flat but detailed. After about a week the sound stage gets a bit deeper and holographic. I thought at this period the amp sounded kind of "cool" as in psychodelic. It goes through a couple more weeks of brighter and darker periods where you feel like experimenting with cables. But resist the urge. After about a month or so, you get pretty close to the natural sound of this amp. Compared to my Classe CA 150 I owned previously, this amp is much smoother and grain free. I have now started looking for brighter sounding cables as I had used darker ones in the past to try and hide the upper mid range glare that accompanies so many solid state amps. Compared to the Classe, the Stratos has more lower end oomph and a smooth but detailed top end. I would like a little more open and transparent top end and will experiment with some silver cables for this effect. In any case I can vouch for the positive tributes that other customers have stated about this amp. It simply allows me to enjoy the music for hours without fatigue and not worry about switching this component or that.

Highly recommended.

My system includes Newform Research R630 speakers, Simaudio P5 preamp, Classe cdp .3 cd player, Cambridge Audio T-500 tuner and cabling by Cardas, Unity Audio, Xindak, JPS Labs and ohers.