NAD C272
Description: <ul> <li>All Discrete Circuitry</li> <li>Gold plated RCA Connectors</li> <li>NAD Soft Clipping</li> <li>12V Trigger Input</li> <li>IEC Detachable Power Cable</li> <li>ATO Logic</li> </ul>

Submitted by UNCHeelYeah a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hi, all

Having owned many NAD products over the years, thought I'd chime in with my two cents worth.

A major online retailer was offering two NAD C272 amps for $1,000. I had recently purchased a NAD T-775HD for home theater purposes, but wanted more "oomph" for listening to my music in two channel stereo mode. Since I wanted an all-in-one solution (home theater, videogames, and music in two channel stereo), and the T-775HD had pre-amp outs, I decided to purchase the new C272s, which were new in box, two year warranty, and being replaced by the C275BEE.

The 275 is more musical, but the difference is not night and day, and the cost is nearly twice as much. Running these amps in bridge mode allowed me to derive 400 watts per channel into my fronts, which are Boston Acoustic Reference VR-3s. This freed up the 775 to run the center channel rears (Boston Acoustics Reference VR-MC, and Boston Acoustics Reference VR-2s), and also two self-powered Boston Acoustic PV-900 subs. I am using Kimber cables for the subs, and Canare quads for the rest.

I let the Audyssey set up the speakers using 8 listening points. The sound in this system is incredible, from top to bottom. Grand, broad soundstage, 3-d midrange and highs, and the subs carry the lows with detail and tightness. The power seems limitless. I am moving the VR3s to the rear, and have Totem Forests on order for the front mains. The Holmgren torrodial transformers sometimes hum a little on start-up, but mine quietens once it warms up.

If you want a "do it all well" system, I like these amps. If you can still find them new in box with factory warranty, at $500 they are the best you can get for that amount of money.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by DPS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've lived with this amp in two systems using the C162 pre amp and a mint condition Audio Research LS7.
The speakers were either Paradigm Monitor 9v5 or Magnepan MMG's . I purchased two C272's and bridged them for use with the MMG's. I must say these amps are very powerful and relatively clean for their price.
In bridged mode I found them noisier and less airy. Having owned several far more expensive amps, it is very easy for me to come to this conclusion; these amps are all anyone really needs to produce dynamic and powerful music in a home audio system, end of story.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by bmwrider55 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp new from a local dealer in 2008. I'm not going to get long-winded here, but I felt compelled to post a short review after reading one of the negative comments. I have been an avid audio enthusiast for overr 30 years. I am also a musician. I have owned (and still do own) some very high priced and wonderful sounding systems over the years. I am using my C272 with a C162 preamp and Magnepan MG 1.6 QR speakers. This particular system is utilizing all Audioquest cables.
I have had NO problems at all with my NAD eqipment and am extremely pleased with the sound provided. My NAD setup is extremely quiet and with the Maggies presents a glorious midrange with a very broad soundstage, though the depth is good but not great. Overall tonal balance and musicality are fantastic. I think that this is the amps greatest characteristic - it is just a wonderfully MUSICAL amp.
My setup in the other room is using a Bill Baker custom built EL34 tube integrated(50 WPC) with ACI Sapphire IIIs on 24" stands. While I prefer the sound of tubes over SS, I really do not feel as though I am compromising too much when I retreat to the NAD/Magnepan system. Overall, for my tastes, the NAD has no peer in its price range in the application for which I purchased it.
Previous amps that I have owned or currently own: McIntosh, Rotel, Hafler, Adcom, Rogue Audio, Response Audio(Bill Baker built tube integrated), Cary.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by wwaterman2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I ordered the NAD C272 after my Adcom 585 amp went south. I am very happy with this amp, I have it set up with Klipsch La Scalas and the amp is very quiet and has plenty of power to drive these speakers. The stage is large and grand, the seperation is awsome and the bass sounds great even though it has been said that the La Scalas are bass weak. Overall for the price you cannot beat this amp.

Purchased At:   howell electronics e

Submitted by macone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Bottom Line:
Pure unmittigated junk.
Many years ago,when NAD was still Brittish,their gear was good...sometimes better than good.But this amp is very very bad.Flat,little definition,noisy as hell.
There is,granted,terrific separation,but after that the amp fails on almost every front.Imaging is smeared(due mainly to unacceptable noise),there is no depth of stage,and bass,what little power there is down there,is muted and slow.Highs are smeared and slightly etched,exceedingly dry.There is little good to say about anything that might be considered a mid-range...just too much noise/hash whatever to discerne anything.
At this price point there are soooo many good power amps out there...even basic mass-market stuff defeats this thing hands down.
I borrowed this thing for some bi-amping experimentation...it lasted about 3 minutes in my system.
Cary Pre