Muse Electronics 160
MSRP  1900.00
Description: 160 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by Dennis Lyons a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp without listening to it first. Bought it as a demo model from Audio Outlet for $1400.00 (was $1900.00 at the time), based primarily on the strength of reviews. This amp is bullet proof, has finesse and power with no harshness whatsoever, and in my system, is synergistic with the Conrad-Johnson PV11 (tube preamp) and electrostatic speakers (Acoustats). Tube-like mids, near Krell bass, and non-fatiguing treble. Not the deepest soundfield in existence, but excellent detail, pace, and air with the Acoustats. Was contemplating swapping this amp for a Creek integrated amp, as I am considering purchasing new and more efficient speakers, but spoke to a Sound Advice salesman today, whom I've known for 10 years, and he brought me to my senses, saying that "the Muse is in an entirely different league" than the Creek products. This amp has all the power and finesse you'll need for any sane audio system - anything more than this would be an "insane" purchase. Forget Aragon, Krell, and the other super amps - this one will last you a lifetime, and never leave you wanting for better sound. HIGHLY recommended - check with Audio Outlet, like I did - they may have another demo at a great price.

Submitted by john a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm not wealthy so when i save my $ for an audio piece I plan on keeping it a LONG time. When I auditioned the above amps, Some had as good or almost as good of charecteristics as the muse but none gave me the feel of long term commitment the muse does. At first I too thought the highs were slightly soft but after listening to it a few hours it seemed to be extremely even. I use mine in a music/movies area and i still have to use my cinema eq so obviously they are not to soft. the mids flow luke a cool breeze from my B&W's. bela fleck and the flecktones simply open the front door and walk into my home now when i insert the cd. Construction is virtually bullet proof! My audio fix it guy even had one come in that had been dropped on the edge of a concrete curb and hit the back panel "GASP" and he said a it took all his strngth and a mallet to bend it back out and only needed new binding posts. if thats not longevity i dont know what is!
In my opinion you cant go wrong with this amp for the money!
P.S. i too love that blue light. ENJOY!!

Submitted by steve walker a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very Good imagery with life-like tempo. Great Detail without going back into a false stage.The deep deepest bass is loose and not as tight as it could be. Certainly would be one of the best value amps around today, so I bought one (series 2). My way of summing up:
Build Quality & Reliability 1/1
Value for Money 1/1
Looks & Efficiency (does get warm 0.9/1
How It Sounds 1.6/2

Submitted by Mike a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amplifier to replace my heavily-modified Stax DA-80 due to power demands of my Maggies. Other amplifiers considered: Ayre V-3, SimAudio, Classe.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the sound of the one hundred sixty. It does nothing objectionable and is quite musical. This amp has the reputation of sounding like a fine tube amp for good reason. The sound is very smooth, if not somewhat mellow. There is an overall *lack* of grain and harshness that's present in many other highly regarded power amplifiers.

Shortcomings are a slight softness to the extreme high frequencies and a compressed soundstage. In comparison to my Stax on the Maggies, this amp doesn't have the degree "air" and "dimensionality". The sound is very clear and focused but lacks the last degree of texture.

I have found that replacing the 10" length of internal input hook-up wire to a solid-silver/Teflon type (Homegrown Audio) does wonders to resolve the slight softness. Midrange also becomes more transparent (less veiled).

I recommend using the balanced inputs if your preamp is a true balanced design (since this amplifier is also true balanced). Dynamics are better this way.

In summary, if I had not owned the modified Stax amplifier I would have given the 160 a 5 star rating. Probably the best sonic value for under $1,000 (used).

Associated equipment:
BAT VK-3i
Music Ref RM4
LP12
ET-2
Dynavector 20XL
Cal Delta
Camelot Arthur
Magnepan 1.6QR (Hovland+Alpha Core mods)
Custom full-frame support 'pan stands
A+ oval 9/12 bi-wire
Homegrown Audio "Super Silver"
PS Audio 300 power plant

Submitted by Tony D'Angelo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I first replaced my Ampzilla with the 160 I was REALLY disappointed. The Ampzilla sounded sooo much better - better imaging, much better resolution etc... I realized that I had taken something out of the loop - my Magnaplaner XO-1 crossover box. That box is custom wired interally with Wondercaps capacitors. When this box was back in the system the Muse sounds just a good as the Ampzilla. I'm crossing over at about 80hz to my Acoustat 1+1's. The resolution of the Muse became so much better it was amazing. My wife noticed it immediately! The Muse does have a little softer top end than the Zilla but is still nice. The soundstage depth is a bit shortened on the Muse compared to the Zilla but not bad. Overall I like it ;)

Acoustat 1+1's
AudioPro B250 Sub
Audio Alchemy DLC - Line drive
Magnaplanar X0-1 xover
CAL DX-2
Monster M1000, DH Labs BL-1, Tara Labs Space & Time w/TFA return
Mission Isoplat
Tenderfeet, tiptoes
Atlantis Reference 3 stand, etc...