Mesa Engineering Baron KT99A
Description: Stereo Power Amplifier

Submitted by 94fxsts a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been putting off going into the tube world for a long time. Seems like i've heard all of them, never would make the move.
The Baron had the looks and the sound I liked the most. I took several home,the Mesa always stood out.
After 3 years of looking I got a used one.
I could kick myself for not doing it sooner!!!
Get one you'll love it.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by oddeophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine and right afterwards Mesa came out with the tri-tube mod. I drove mine back to the facility in N. CA and promptly, same day, had it on its way back home for updated trial. I have used all three tubes in it. The KT-99A is a misnomer, actualy a tube name that the old Gold Aero gave to the Ei KT-90 tube. With the EI KT-90 tube in, it sounded by far its best in all tube settings. Higher wattage output, as well, for each setting than EL-34 or 5881's. Sound was cleaner, sweeter, and even better than ever! However, the amp runs hot with the KT-90. I suggest running the bias a tad down from the +2 setting on the bias meters. They sound equally as elegant with slightly less class A bias applied. They look gorgeous, with their beautiful blue glow that is easily noticed across the room. The amp likes great power cords. I suggest using a pair of PS Audio Statement Xstream cords and if not a Power Plant, then at least a UPC-200 to power it. With the proper power and input/spkrs cables and associated equipment, watch out for an enormously wonderful amp. Everything comes alive far more with the proper power cords, especially with a tube amp. this amp draws tons of current being mostly Class A driven so a huge, well shielded power cord and clean AC makes it sing. Ever since I did, the sonic improvement brings this amp up to reference level. Further, massive improvements have been wrought with the inclusion of the incredible Aurios Pro MIB's with tungsten carbide bearings. This improved my system to jaw dropping results. I have a really hard time going to bed at night... Much of what were concerns from reviewers and others had to do with the improper and dirty power provided to run it and vibration control. I had originally used it on a Bright Star base with good results, but the Aurios Pro bearings are in a class by themselves. Running this amp with pure, clean power and unrestricted power delivery (via a huge, six guage power cord, and properly and completely isolated allows it to come alive. The beauty and warmth is enormous. It is at its best off a PS Audio power plant, however, as is all of my other equipment. The image size is enormous with the KT-90 and Mazda 12AX7 tubes from Absolute Audio (Kevin Deal) and pure, fast, open and sweet as a tube amp should be. Be prepared for jaw dropping experiences when properly driven, and isolated. Also, it should be noted this amp is rock solid, stable and so well built it should last forever. I love it and it remains one of my two amps in my system; the HCA may be replaced soon, but the MESA, never. I can never even think of parting with the amp. Enjoy.

Purchased At:   Galen Carol Audio