Meridian G57
Description: G57 2-Channel Power Amplifier

Submitted by dimilino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent amplifier. High end piece, with great sound and quality.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Doron Or a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
When I first got this amp I was using Two Vintage Meridian 105s monoblocks along with 101 Pre-amp. Reading Hi-Fi News article "Timeless Design" re the vintage Meridian amps, I did not think that Meridian amplifiers improved that much in the last 30 years.
Unlike digital media that improved tremendously and became closer to LP than ever I always thought (due to my own ignorance, I guess) the there isn't much to be gained in amplification; design wise (look at the renaissance of Tube amps). I thought that the only improvement is that perhaps electronic components (capacitors, transformers, etc) have improved in performance and not necessarily in reliability.
Well, after this long preface, when I hooked this amp out of the box without a long warm-up instead of my 105s Monoblocks I immediately noticed significant improvements in all areas:
Better clarity, better resolution of the most subtle details, deep and broad sound-stage with a sense of air around the instruments, the sound has a sense of volume and authority, there is excellent control of the bass (tight, authoritative with great slam but never bloated). All of this is done in an effortless and laid back fashion and without a hint of harshness or lack of linearity.
The 105s sound like they try too hard in comparison. They sound leaner, more mechanical and less musical.

To summarize: all my pre-assumptions re amplification proved to be wrong as this amp outshines anything I heard before whether former Meridian gear other SS or some high quality Tube amps.

In a nutshell the G57 has the best of both tube and SS worlds:
The linearity, laid-back and warmish sound of a tube-amplifier with the detail retrieving and resolution of the best solid states.

I also found it to be a match made in heaven to my Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home Speakers.

My equipment: