McIntosh MC7205
Description: 5 Channel Power Amplifier - 100 Watts

Submitted by deafbykhorns a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I owned this amp for almost a year and it worked fine until one night while playing at low levels, the amp started smoking.
This amp has been described as Powerful, rich sound. I agree on this part however it don't agree with this statement: Built like a tank. Should outlive its ower. Well it didn't outlive me. Yes, maybe a fluke and a quality control issue but that's my experience. I'll keep my autoformer(MC352) main amp and probably get a MC303 which is what McIntosh is known for in the audio world.

Submitted by audiojunky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
my question is what are the main differences b/t the mc7205 & mc205. as well i am using this amp with an mx-135 and plan to purchase a vintage mcintosh tube amp to run my front mains basically for music listening.

why the negative reviews?

also would you recommend the mc205 over the mc7205?

Purchased At:   3250

Submitted by audiojunky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Bottom Line:

why the negative reviews?

also would you recommend the mc205 over the mc7205?

Purchased At:   3250

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Bottom Line:

I've owned and extensively used the 7205 since May, 2001. The only problem I've had with it are the lamps that light the power meters have burned out. Other than that, I've thoroughly enjoyed it for over five years and thousands of hours. I, too, don't understand the negative reviews of this amp. I have other Mac amps (the 2205 and 2255) and granted it doesn't sound as good as those, it didn't cost as much either. Hey, we're talking about a 5 channel home theater amp here, not necessarily a 2 channel amp that a hard-core audiophile would use. Negative reviewers of any 5 channel amp should take that into account. I own a lot of Mac gear and have 25 years of experience with McIntosh products. If you can get one of these used, I recommend it. I also own the Mac 132 processor, have used it the same length of time, with nary a problem

Submitted by soundguy33 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned nearly every amp around under $5000. I can honestly say this thing is sooooo overpriced (even at the $2500 I paid) it's silly. You McIntosh 'heads' are crazy (or hard of hearing?), these are mediocre amps at best. Aside from an immediate repair to the power switch, it's worked fine. I know the old McIntosh tube amps are to die for, but this amp left me completely flat (and not in a good way!) My HPA 2 makes this thing sound like ****. It's gonna be up for sale soon...

Purchased At:   Closeout Mcintosh de