Mark Levinson No. 27
Description: NA

Submitted by oddeofreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
Joined the ML club today and I am happy as a fat boy in a candy store! I snuck out of house to pick it up so my wife won't know what I was up to! I came home in stealth mode and hooked it up in my system without her knowing! She has heard over and over that "this is the last piece, I promise!" I will wait a couple of weeks and then tell her the great news.
Anyway,the Levinson produces layer and layers of sound so sweet you become mesmerized. The ML has replaced a Sim Audio W5, which is also a nice piece, but it doesn't have the finesse and gracefulness that seems to be a signiture of the Levinsons'. The Sim Audio is rated at 190 watts and the Levinson seems to hold it's own with it. Voices have their distinct place on the stage with an incredible amount of air around them. Horns don't have that sound that makes your ears flutter. Everything just seems to sound right in Audio Land! In the past I have owned Krell, Sim Audio, Jeff Rowland, Conrad Johnson, Aragon, Audio Research. The ML has satisfied my audio craving, for the moment. If you have the opportunity to purchase one of these sweet babies, don't hesitate! Don't the 100 watts fool you either. I was hesitant when I found out it was only 100, but like I said, it sounds about the same as the Sim Audio, which produces 190 watts.

System:
Krell KRC2
Meridian 508.24
Sound Wave Point Source 3.0
Levinson #27 (:

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Beautiful amp and astounding value on the used market.

Here are few adjectives that come to mind:
-effortless
-finesse
-revealing (not bright)

My favorite part of this amp is the sound stage it is capable of. While all other areas are a solid A, the imaging and soundstage is an easy A++

Try one out for yourself.

Submitted by Jannek Haarding a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purched the ML 27 used, so value for money is high. This amplifier has it all: Power, Tight Bas, Dynamics, Smoothness etc. I find it very hard to imagine any amp doing better in any way for this kind of money. I use the amp with Audiovector M3 sig. loudsp.(DK), Restek Radiant II CD (DE) and a Kenwood L-1000C preamp (JPN - this preamp has great value for money. Try it!). The Radiant II is laid back, the L-1000C is very up front and the M3 sig. is highly dynamic - theese three in combination are very linear - so I needed a power amp that didn't add anything nor deducted anything. With the M2 sig. high sensitivity I found the 100W in the ML 27 to be more than pleanty. I can only recomend the ML 27 to anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on a power amp, and still want's the high end sound.

Previously I had a system with a rotel pre/power comb, and I have also had a Linn comb. with an equally price, but they didn't do half of what the L-1000C/ML 27 does.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by Shane Mattson a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
The No.27 is one of the best 100w amplifiers on the used market. True reference quality amplifier....what goes in goes out...You can find these for around $1900.00 today.....a great way to have a Stereophile class-A rated amplifier without spending 4K+....take the extra cash and put it into the digital front-end.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Andy Lokadjaja a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I used Mark Levinson No.23 amplifier and Audio Research SP-14. CD player Philips MK 850II with Sonic Frontier D/A Converter. Speaker is Totem Signature 1.
It's sound good, almost! But not perfect. Mark Levinson No.23 mixed with Audio Research are perfect combination. Now I am looking for new Mark Levinson which has better sound. You will satified with Mark Levinson sound!!!!!!!!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile