Mark Levinson No. 23.5
Description: 200W Power Amp

Submitted by Eli a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is probably one of the best Mark Levinson amplifier ever made, during the past 20 years many electronic components came into my house and left, the 23.5 remains. I have compared this to Proceed, Krell, Aragon, and many other high end makers. Nothing comes close, this is one of the most musical amplifiers made by Levinson, the 23.5 was designed and constructed when Levinson was under the ownership of Madrigal, shame they no longer operate. The 23.5 has tremendous power, it's never bright, you can listen to music all day without fatigue, the high frequencies are sweet and extended, the vocals are phenomenon, with good speakers you will hear the artist with clarity as though they were singing in your house in front of you. Bass is fast, powerful, authoritative and full, unlike Krell (KSA-200S) which colors the sound with exaggerated pumped up bass. The 23.5 is built to last with it's heavy solid construction. I compared the 23.5 to the smaller 27.5 another classic amplifier from Mark Levinson, they are almost identical with the 23.5 leading in the Bass when connected to larger demanding speakers, don't get me wrong, the 27.5 is an excellent amplifier, it's very hard to tell the difference. If you find a Levinson 23.5 in good condition on the used market, grab it.

Associated Equipment:

Dynaudio Confidence 3

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by santiago a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
OF ALL MARK LEVINSON AMPLIFIERS THAT I^VE HAD.THE ML 23.5 IS THE BEST IN ALL THE ASPECTS.
THE 300 SERIES AND 400 SERIES WAS A DECEPTION .FORGET ABOUT THIS LEVINSON SERIES
THE ML 23 AND ML 27 ARE ALSO VERY GOOD. THEY ARE VERY MUSICAL SMOTH AND BALANCED. THE ML 23.5 HAS EVERITHING.SPECTACULAR BASS CONTROL, INCREDIBLE MIDS AND PERFECT TREBLE.IT IS SUPER MUSICAL AND TRANSPARENT, POWER CONTROL SMOTHNESS EVERYTHING.ALSO I HAVE HAD KRELL AND CHORD AMP.THEY ARE INFERIOR.
THE ONLY AMPLIFIERS THAT CAN BEAT IT WITH A VERY SMALL DIFFERENCE AND PAYNG THOUSNDS OF DOLARDS ARE FM ACOUSTICS, CELLO, AND VIOLA.
IN SIMPLE WORLD I LOVE THIS AMP.IF YOU HAVE ANY LUCK DO NOT HESITATE TO GET BUY

Submitted by clemmtec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
When a friend told me of ml 23.5 I did not think I was going to get what I was looking for in it
I was already looking at krell , when I got it home and unhooked my carver tfm350 and hook up the ml23
that sound is so clear and crips.
I will buy another one of these if I find one at a good price. I 'm looking into monoing . My speakers are 1600 watts
The sound of the ml is just too good.

Submitted by auro a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
Wonderful ! My ML27.5 can not keep up with my Magnepan 3.6R and lacks punch, speed and depth in the low spectrum. The 27.5 is a wonderful amp for small maggies (up to the 1.6QR), but it is a little weak for bigger panels.
The 23.5 I bought was just repaired (815$ all-you-can-fix-max-charge) so I have 90 days warranty from HSG and a new amp. A good deal. The 23.5, 27.5 and 20.6 are the best ML amplifiers ever made. Each one has a different style. Each one is perfect and different than the other. If you like tubes get the 20.6. If you like volume and sharpness get the 27.5 or 23.5 depending on the size of the room. If you drive big panels (apogee/magnepans) get the 23.5 or try the parasound JC1s...

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Dgob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recently bought my ML 23.5 and had it imported to the UK from the USA. I have had a long history of seeking realism through a variety of tubes based amplifiers (including ownership of a Leak ST60, Audio Research VT100, Conrad Johnson Premier 8a, Atmasphere MA1 and Audio Research VT200 MKII. The recent move to solid state with the 23.5 has been a real revelation. I now know that tube designs have sonic limitations and colourations and this has demanded my re-educating my ears and expectations.

Put simply, the 23.5 is uncoloured, dynamic, pitch and timbre perfect and - therefore - brings you much closer to being there at a live performance. Despite the far more exotic nature and cost of the rest of my system, the 23.5 raises the quality of my system and listening experience. Given this and their unbelievably low retail price on the used market, this classic amp recommends itself.

Purchased At:   Audiogon