Marantz 8
Description: 3000 Watt Tube Amplifier (1960-1962)

Submitted by Joseph Genduso a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I inherited this unit from my parents in 1996 but had been using since 1971 in their/my old house. I can give you my opinion as a casual listener as well as a former 15 yr old teenager using the system.

When I was younger I used to crank it up and my friends, across a 1/4 mile long lake, could hear it.

Now that I've gotten older I have come to appreciate the quality and great sound from this unit. I don't use it very much any more becuase I'm afraid to blow a tube. But it is the most amazing system I've heard.

Submitted by Mark Tuckfield a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had the good fortune to pickup a Marantz 8 for $40.00, Yes Forty Bucks, I was going to resell it. I brought it back on a variac for a day the hooked it up in lieu of my Heathkit Mod W-4's with Acrosound output transformers for a Quick listen. I was so please that I have never used the Heathkits again, the Marantz 8 will stay with me forever. I really have liked it on many speakers, the bass is full and the sound is Pleasent and Musical.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Dave Stork, Stork Audio a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently repaired an 8B for a local customer. I wouldcharacterize the amp as well-made, intelligently designed,
good-sounding and definitely cool-looking. In the unit I
repaired, I was surprised to find only about 0.1%THD at 1kHz
into 8 ohms at rated output power; that's pretty good for an
old tube amp. I wish I owned one.

Submitted by Dave Stork, Stork Audio a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1999

good-sounding and definitely cool-looking. In the unit I
repaired, I was surprised to find only about 0.1%THD at 1kHz
into 8 ohms at rated output power; that's pretty good for an
old tube amp. I wish I owned one.

Submitted by Ron a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 1998

Bottom Line:
The Marantz 8 amplifier is a fine example of early 60's tube technology; a lush 35 watts per channel and built like a tank (it weighs 47 lbs!!). The sound can only be described as phenomenal; bludgeon-strength bass response, meaty mids, and buttery highs. To be quite honest, when I first plugged it in I really didn't expect much. The reality of the situation soon exposed itself as I was completely unprepared for such a drastic improvement. Previously, I had been powering my system through a Parasound P/LD 1500 preamp and Carver TFM-35 amp; 350 watts into my 4 ohm lo-fi Bose 401's. While the power was obviously more than adequate, the Marantz brought it to a new level of refinement. Soundstaging improved significantly, as did the definition. By comparison, the mid-fi Carver couldn't put out nearly the bass and had to be driven harder to produce any soundstage. In short, it was like switching from a Toyota Camry to a Lexus LS400.
For those of you who are curious as to what I paid for the unit, I had the fortune of picking up this piece for $500 from a work acquaintance; I actually had to talk him into asking *more* for the amp!

My highest ratings to the vintage Marantz piece.