Hafler P3000 Transnova
Description: 150w x2 Channels @ 8ohms MOSFET Power Amplifier - XLR & RCA inputs

Submitted by rmihai a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 9290 a much better amplifier then the P3000.
The best amplifier that I encountered under $1000. Period. No doubt.

Purchased At:   NEW

Submitted by Jon Lang a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great amp which works with quite well my rather low end home setup. Infintity IL50 speakers, Adcom GFP710 preamp, Yamaha CDR-D651 CD player, Various turntables and cartridges.Also used in studio for various near field monitors. No problems with hum,(hmmmm), but suggest that you give this unit plenty of ventilation. If you are on a budget but want a solid no trouble amplifier I would suggest auditioning this unit.

Purchased At:   pro deal

Submitted by Jeff Tischer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I actually bought this product for my home recording studio but put it in my audio system for 2 years because for lack of money to buy what I wanted.

Overall it has a real nice sound for the price. It is well balanced, not edgy or boomy. The bass is strong and well controlled. The imaging is sufficiently detailed but could use some more depth.

My main criticism is on my Paradigm Studio 100 v.2's I just got the midrange is a bit weak. These speakers have a very flat and uncolored sound so this amp isn't the best match for the speakers.

I do not recommend this amp for a home stereo system unless you use balanced inputs though. The 60 cycle hum is just loud enough to be noticable when no music is playing. With balanced inputs on my Mackie mixer it is dead quiet. I've had no problems with the unit itself humming or heating up as indicated by a few others.

System:
Rotel RC-972 preamp
CAL Icon CD player
Fried Beta & Subwoofer/Paradigm Studio 100 v.2
Transparent Music Wave 100 speaker cable

Purchased At:   Guitar Center

Submitted by Ed Jones a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
This amp sounds wonderful, it produces music that is life like and tuneful. This highs are right on, the mids a just slightly laid back and the bass is great. My only gripe is it does not seem to have much power in reserve when really cranked up. I have driven it hard until it over heats and shuts off, but distortion from clipping is never present.

Also for the past year I have been looking for a new amp, one that has a bit more power, but I have not found one that could beat the sound and still justify the cost. To beat the sound you would have to spend upwards of 3K or more.

For all of it's short comings, this is one great amp, for the money.

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had been using 9180's for a couple of years and saught a change for slightly more power for some bigger spaekers. I was able to strike a wonderful deal trading my 9180's for the P3000's and was glad I did. Though the ones I have are noisy and run a bit warm, it does not interfere with the performance they deliver. Nicely detailed highs, smooth mids and good powerful bass. They have the power to rock down the house or delver delightfuly accurate details of more subtle listening. I just wish they had included RCA inputs to avoid use of adaptors...I wasn't about to reterminate my AQ emeralds or get new cables. I run two P3000's in mono and am more than pleased with the results i get as compared with my brothers similar sytem with the next larger model spaekers, the 9505's and a tad bigger room.

CAL Delta t'port
CAL Sigma II DAC
Audio Alchemy DLC preamp
Audio Alchemy PS-Two
(2) Hafler P3000's
Polk Audio SDA-1C's
AQ Digital Pro + .5m pr Emeralds + 1m pr Emeralds + 4ft pr Clear.
Various absorbtive devices under / on / in components.