Crown XTI - 2000
Description: The XTi Series of Crown amplifiers are professional tools designed and built for portable PA applications. The series includes three models which are identical except for output power: XTi 1000, 2000 and 4000. All are rugged and lightweight, and offer unmatched value in their class.

Submitted by Joe Trojan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this beast when they just hit the market, I forget what year it was. I traded in another pro amp which weighs 25kg and had a bit more power in for the xti2000 which weighs less than my cd player. I use this equipment in the home. I run twin 18" 8 ohm subs in 250 litre ported enclusures tuned to 24hz and use the built in dsp to tune them perfectly to any room as it allows very fine control. I have managed to get the fan to turn on only after the most abusive testing of the subs with sine waves pumping for a good 15 minutes, other than that the fans are always off and the unit runs just a bit warm to the touch, very efficient. I have also used it on full range PA speakers with out any issues. I am yet to try it out on HiFi speakers but doubt there will be any issues.

The early batch including mine had a problem with the front control board pcb which was all replaced under warranty and it was never bad enough to effect performance, just the volume would be a bit temperamental at low volumes. I'm a convert and will never buy a hifi power amp again. I just ordered in a xti1002 to run my studio monitors with.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by tony3d a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is not a consumer amp, but a pro amp used for sound reinforcement. Well, I'll tell you compared to my Onkyo M504 power amp this amp simply reproduces music with the kind of muscle one associates with a live performance. I get much tighter, deep, dry bass. To be honest the top end seems a little more sterile, but hardly what I would call harsh. Maybe a better word would be analytical. All in all I see no reason to look at a very expensive consumer amp again. I was very skeptical before I bought this amp myself, and I posted on many boards before buying. I have listened to music including live music for many years. My brother was a jazz guitarist for 35 years. His very good friend Gene Palumbo went on to arrange, and conduct for Judy Garland for a couple years before her death. I believe I have a well trained ear, and what it hears is very neutral reproduction. I'm sure a lot of these $5000.00 amps are excellent and produce better specs, but to tell you the truth after hearing Krell, Threshold, and some H/K Citations over the years, this Crown stacks right up there with the best of them. Even the fan which I thought was going to be the big issue has not come on once that I can tell. I'm sure under laboratory listening conditions, these high end consumer amps may reveal more detail, but I listen in my living-room. So far I feel like I stole this amp for $699.00. I'll never run out of headroom, and it with probably outlast most consumer amps. In the past I personally owned a Phase Linear 400 series 2, H/K Citation 16, and an Onkyo M504. Each amp failed for one reason or another within a 8 years span. I know non of these where ultra high end, but they represented a good buy in their day, and were not exactly cheap. The only component I have from the very early 70's that has continued to perform with no maintenance at all is my Crown IC-150. If I get half the life out of this amp I should be in an old folks home by then. I'm not trying to sway anyone here, just presenting the facts as I see them.

Purchased At:   Guitar Center