Crown Studio Reference 2
Description: 355 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by tjduquette@charter.net a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
Having just recently upgraded my CD player, I decided to upgrade my amp as well. The Crown Studio Reference 2 was highly recommended to me by someone (no names mentioned)who has recording engineer experience with some major-label acts, as well as tremendous talent in recording studio design and loudspeaker design. Because he was not trying to sell me something, I believed his recommendation was sincere and not profit oriented. I used the internet to research prices for the Studio Reference 2, and found that US SPEAKER (www.usspeaker.com)had an excellent price. I called US SPEAKER, spoke with AL, and ordered the Studio Reference 2. The order went in on Friday, and the amp arrived on the following Tuesday, just as AL promised. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND US SPEAKER. Al will take care of you. Now, about the amp: I connected the amp as soon as I got home, and the best way to describe it is pure, clean, beautiful sound. I listened to CDs which I've had for 15 years, and heard more music on those CDs than I had ever heard before, even though I had listened to the same CDs so many times before on lesser equipment. Fantastic separation of instruments, unbelievable soundstage, with very distinct highs, mid-range, and nice tight bass. As the sound engineer I had spoken with said, "Don't waste your money on more expensive, overpriced amps because the Studio Reference amps are as good as anything else, but at a lower price." I couldn't agree more.

Price Paid:    $2035.00

Purchased At:   US SPEAKER

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
After months of playing around with various amplifier configurations. I was able to narrow down two amplifiers for my system. The Cinepro 1K2Se and the Crown Studio Ref II.

Both Amplifiers had been burnt in for awhile, using them for a couple of months at a time. The Crown took quite awhile to settle down. It's very bright for the first few months but eventully mellows very well.

I sat down with a friend, basically sick of changing out amplifiers and put on a audiophile organ CD with a ton of forground and background detail. Switched the cables four times and every time my friend picked the Crown. I did too but he didn't know which amp I was changing to. The Crown is here to stay.

I was frustrated with this amp... it takes a long time to burn in. Once it's ready you will be amazed with the clean crisp power and extremely tight bass.

I found the XLR inputs with unbalanced wiring to be the best on bass but lacking treble detail, the 1/4" connectors set for the 7 volt input has the best overall performance for a unbalanced connection. The "input trim" knobs on the front can be by-passed for the best signal. The fan has yet to run.. even with some abuse. The user manual is excellent and contains anything you'd like to know about the product you've purchased.

Equipment
Kimber Silver Streak

Purchased At:   sweetwater

Submitted by dj foreign basss a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
the crest ca series is what amps,is all about clean bass clear high and bass you can hear and feel not make your head hurt..

Purchased At:   canal street nyc