Conrad-Johnson Premier 11A
Description: 70 Watt Tube Amp

Submitted by Dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Recently shopped for a new amp. I auditioned the Premier 11 in my home for about 4 days, then switched to the CJ MF2500 which I preferred (and bought). The preamp was the PV12, a tube preamp. I have a Sony CD player & Klipsch Chorus II speakers.

The Premier 11 reproduced songs with a strong vocal better than anything I've ever heard. On modern recordings that were technically good recordings, the result was mesmerizing. I played some songs over & over again - just to listen to it.

But (at least with my system), other songs weren't so magical & on rock and complex orchestra pieces I found it a little fatigueing. Too much detail in the sound - as if it were all competing for attention. It could be that my CD player wasn't up to the same standard as the amp. I also found that I didn't enjoy my favorite rock songs at loud volumes - which for me is a sign that not all is right. Some musical transitions seemed to have too much "bite" and it wore on me.

Build quality is first class. I almost bought it for the vocals alone, but ended up buying the MF2500 - not as magical on vocals, but easy to listen to.

Submitted by Falcher Fusager a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
Enough is written here. Anything less tha 5 star for this amp , is but cute nitpicking. I use it with Dynaudio Contour 1.3, known to love power, yet they have never sung like this before, it is a wonderfull match. Grand is the word. For the intimate stuff I still go to the MV 55 playing a pair of Sonus Farber Concertinoes. Do I feel spoiled rotten? There may be "better" amps in the world, but you'll never care.

Purchased At:   Musiclovers

Submitted by Hi-End guru a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
The bass response from my speakers is deeper, tighter, and more dynamic than I've ever heard before. The mids and highs are extremely natural and sweet. Soundstaging and imaging is enhanced considerably over Mark Levinson and Krell amps that sound reticient and dark by comparison. The word that best characterizes the sound produced from the 11a is "authority." All types of music, from classical works (orchestral, chamber, piano, vocal), jazz, and even rock sound remarkable. A 5/5 rating for this beautiful and well-designed amplifier.

Submitted by frank a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a very transparent amp with very good sense of space and very open. However, after auditioning the unit in my system for a week (the unit is a lender from a dealer and the unit has been broken in) I was happy of my original MV55. The 11a's vocals sounded vague and fatigue. I literally have to listen into the music rather than the music presenting itself to me. I suspect it's due to the 6550 tubes (by the way, I dislike the 6550 tubes for that reason). Where as the MV55, although definately not as open, presented female vocals of no parrallel. Vocals seem to present itself in a palpable sense to the listener. I truly regret that the 11a lacks the midrange. However, I still think it's an excellent unit, just that I prefer a good vocal presentation and opted to keep, and have been since.......my MV55!........for me, nothing beats an EL34 tube !

Submitted by Raj J a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you get the combination of your electronics just about right, I said just about right because it is nearly impossible to get it perfect, then the Premier11A will just shine! Its main strength as I have outlined above, will only take place if your pre-power amp combination is matched well to your liking, then all other factors will neatly fall into place. If you are satisfied with the sound you're getting in this particular "price range", then I can guarantee that you will not listen to anything else! The main fact is, the sound you are looking for should be what your ears want to hear, and this can only be done through you! your ears is the ultimate judge! not what the reviews say or what others talk about because if you have not heard it, then there is no way you will realize how good or bad a product would sound.