Conrad-Johnson MF2300A
Description: 240 watts

Submitted by sroach22 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have had many amps and this one just sounds like real music. Extremely balanced. It's an excellent combination with my CJ premier 16 LS2. This amp just lets you forget about your equipment and enjoy the music. Very powerful. If you find one used in good condition I highly recommend it.

Submitted by Paul Dunn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is on the MF2300A. I have had many amplifiers in the past and this one stands tall amongst them. Very few solid states amps can offer a powerful smooth sound like this one and still sound very transparent and detailed. I put a LS2BMKll pre on it and the sound produced was absolutely gorgious and breathtaking. This amp excels in all areas and listening fatigue never comes into play. I have noticed that the amp sounds far better after an hour warm-up. If you see one of theses for sale, grab it! Conrad Johnson has clear winner on their hands here. Highly recommended component!

Submitted by kymanor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used many different amps in my musical life. In my 25 years, this is the best amp that i have ever owned.

Purchased At:   Audio Perfections

Submitted by Santiago a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got mine from a used equipment market for SG$1400 (about 800+ US$). It was originally the MF2300, modified in 1995 to the MF2300A specs.

The first thing I noticed about this amp is the naturality (albeit slighty warm) and smoothness of the sound. Unlike most other SS amps I've listened, this one have a silky (though very slightly diffused) midrange without the usual SS graininess. The treble is sweet and very fine, not the usual "on-your-face" quality I was accustomed to, yet still delivers very minute details. For the first time I was able to listen to music, CD after CD for long periods without fatigue - in other words, this amp is very musical indeed. It's like having a new set of CDs!

There is a good overall tonality to the sound from bottom up. Although I am only using a standmounter Dynaudio Audience 50, the MF2300A can deliver deep, solid yet controlled bass which wasn't there with my previous Integ. Amp. I didn't think the small Dyn's can deliver this much bass, though the MF2300A doesn't have the agility and crack of a Krell. If there was one negative thing about it, it's the humming noise which could become audible in extremely silent situations (eg. very late night) - perhaps because this unit is 7 years old? Or is just because its high-current??

Still, the MF2300A never fails to please me everytime I fire it up!! The CJ slogan "It just sounds right" is just as authentic!

For anyone looking for a neutral, powerful, smooth-sounding and very musical amp, I would recommend the MF2300A (though difficult to find in the used market).

Used with:
Audio Research LS-3
NAD C 540
Siltech, VDH, AQ Midnight II
Dynaudio Audience 50 on Atacama stands

Submitted by Louis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is a real steal to have such a great performing amp at this price. If you found an used unit (which is very very rare to come by as most owners keep them), go grab it.

It drives my Newform Research R645 hybrid-ribbin speakers effortless. Demanding passages in many classical music CDs that I played are handled superbly.

Purchased At:   eBay