Clayton Audio S-40
Description: 2 channel amplifier 50W into 8 ohms 100W into 4 ohms

Submitted by elrhee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've only had the amp for a few days now, but I can't believe the difference it has made in my system. The first thing I noticed was the localization of sounds in the soundstage that before had always been very general. It was an odd feeling as I sat there. As the amp warmed up, the vocals began to have a presence that was awe-inspiring. The IAR-80 review put it best. Liquid sounds are smooth, but bright highs are naturally bright. This amp is so right, words are hard to find to describe it.

After trying amps from Krell, Aragon, Classe, Audio Refinement (a YBA division), ATI, and Bryston, and finally Clayton, my search has ended.

I'm driving the 4 ohm load of my tweeter and midrange ribbons on my Apogee FullRanges with the 50W of pure Class A Clayton and I'm in sonic heaven. I feel like I'm listening to all of my CDs for the first time. I'm using a Nordost powercord as I've heard it requires an upgraded power cord.

Wilson Shen is a genius!

Purchased At:   Secondhand

Submitted by bkt88 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Not matter what the reviews say about a product there is always a certain expectation that sometimes falls short after you make the purchase. The Clayton S-40 stereo amp is one of the few purchases that I have made that exceeded all my expectations. Indeed, the amp is so good that I had to get rid of my receiver and go to seperates.

I also re-wired my speakers and it was especially easier to hear the changes made in other areas of my system and the credit belongs to the amp. I would have never told anyone that an amplifier can make such a difference but it has.

I was curious about how it would compare to a more expensive monoblock amp so I visited a friend who has the Rowland 6's with Rowland Consummate preamp and Avalon Acoustics. He was very surprised at how well the amp drove the Avalon Eclipse which are 87db inefficient and very difficult.

The surprise came however when he adjusted the gain on the preamp to match the Clayton S-40 47k ohm input. The amp became monsterously engaging, showing exquisite balance and expanded the soundstage. Needless to say my friend was in shock! After all, the Rowlands cost $12,000 new!

Purchased At:   Northwest NW