Cary Audio Design CAD-308SA
Description: <ul> <li>Dual front panel power output level meters</li> <li>High quality speaker binding posts</li> <li>Optional remote 'trigger' circuit</li> <li>Teflon silver internal wiring</li> <li>2-12AU7 dual triode vacuum tube driver stage</li> <li>Solid state output section</li> <li>Cary soft shoe feet</li> </ul>

Submitted by galex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
For the price I was expecting this to be an entry-level amp. After living with it for a while I think it's much better than that. I found it to be very detailed without being aggressive. After swapping out the supplied tubes for a pair of Mullards I thought that it sounded warmer, which I preferred. It has an open and spacious character which works well with the kind of music I listen to. It's the kind of product that just works well for me. It's reliable, sounds wonderful, doesn't require biasing, and doesn't give off a lot of heat. It just reproduces music in a way that helps the entire experience become more immersive for me. I think this is an excellent example of a hybrid amp done properly.

Purchased At:   Audio Connect

Submitted by Jacktoz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is nothing short of a remarkable amplifier. Its only limition is it's ability to control a complex, low impendence load. With that limitation aside, this amplifier rivals the best that I've heard in terms of detail retrieval, image size and specificity, depth. This is remarkable performance for a $2k amplifier. It uses a tube front end and a solid-state output section based on what I believe is a National Semiconductor output device. The construction is top-notch and the quality of parts is extraordinary.

Purchased At:   dealer load