Carver Audio TFM-25
Description: 225 watts (1989-1992)

Submitted by Ben a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
This review is for the TFM-35. I purchased it for $180 from a local pawnshop near Tampa, FL. I have to tell you, I always thought Carver amps were un-appealing and unattractive. I changed the Trimpot right away (check out tntaudio.com) and am always blown away by this cheap part change for 5 bucks and 3 soldier joints. I have had numerous amps from the likes of Adcom, Speakercraft, Linn, Onkyo, SAE, and Rotel. I am currently bi-amping my Sapphire ST2's with the TFM-35 (highs) and my Rotel RB-990BX (lows). That should tell you exactly what this amp is good at from my last statement. It is a superb amplifier for the higher frequencies, but is somewhat lacking in the lower frequencies. When you take the cover off, you will see 2 tiny 10000 uf caps. Probably a lot of the reason it sucks with the boom boom.
If you are using a subwoofer, or if you would be using this amp for standmount/ bookshelf speakers and you only have a few hundred to spend, I would say it should be on your short-short list for reviews. Definitely change the Trimpots or pay your local Mr. fix it guy 20-30 bucks to do it. It takes a 680 ohm trimpot, but my local electronics store didn't have a 680, so I got a 1K ohm, or 1000 ohm, pot.

Submitted by Birdyman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
Designed by legendary audio man Bob Carver and built in Japan.
I use 2 of TFM 25s in my home theater set up. My Denon 1000W/ch 7.1 receiver is some what thin in lows. I by pass front channel of Denon receiver and use these to drive my front R&L channel. They really re-colored my home theater system witth huge dynamic range. Listening music with my home theater system became much more enjoyable. They sound much warmer than my Denon receiver. My units were serviced for all capacitor replacements to play another 25 years. Great musical instrument, I love them.

Submitted by O'Shag a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been using the Carver TFM for about a year now. Its primarily used for everyday listening. My setup has my Yamaha RX-Z9 acting as a multichannel processor, and all my sources are connected through it. I then run an ARC preamp through a loop into the Z9. This disengages the z9's internal preamp section for the front channels. I then have my TFM-25 connected on Mains 1 output, and this drives my front channle speakers. For critical listening I also have a pair of ARC Classic 120 tube monoblocks. My general impressions of the TFM-25 have been mixed. I liked some aspects of its performnaqce but was not impressed with others. One glaring flaw I noticed was a flattened soundstage without much front-to-back depth. Another less than impressive trait is that it seems to lack a little transparency. It also seemed to be suffering from slightly uneven power output, with the right channel being a little weaker. Nevertheless it had redeeming qualities. I lived with it like this up until about three weeks ago. A problem I've recognized in my area is that of power. There seems to be a fair amount of interference, probably due to the power stations nearby (I live in Redondo Beach and those of you familiar with the area know that it is littered with giant pylons). I've been sort of a skeptic when it comes to power conditioning, and use pretty basic fair surge protectors. I recently came across a used MIT Z-stabilizer V.1. Its not something to plug sources etc into, but rather it plugs directly into the wall socket and creates a bridge to filter all impurities out of the circuit. I then fired up the system, and literally couldn't believe my ears. The ssystem was literally tranformed, most especially the TFM-25. Gone was the slight imbalance in channels. The improvements were vast in transparency. The bass became tighter. The soundstage more focused, and the suddenly there was much more front-to-back depth. Its still not as good as the ARC monoblocks, but it is now a seriously good little amp. My guess is that the reason for the transformation due to power conditioning comes down to the unique Carver magnetic field technology, which would probably make it more prone to problems with bad power.

Submitted by coastieretired a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Nothing but trouble. I bought the thing new with the Carver C-11 pre-amp, Carver DPL-33 surround, and Klipsh speakers. I've had the thing to the shop six times because of distortion in the right channel. It keeps coming back.

The DPL-33 is crap also as the remote for my Panasonic TV continually shuts it off everytime I adjust the volume on my TV. I must have a a few dirty potentiometers on the C-11 as you hear scratchy sounds everytime one of them is moved.

Purchased At:   Hawaii

Submitted by surveyor55 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own a Carver TFM-24 Amp, which is the same as the Carver TFM-25 Amp without the analog WATT meters. The specifications and sonic characteristics are the same. I, also, have a Carver M-1.0T Amp. The TFM-24 in my system is a very good amp sonically and value wise. It is clearly less powerfull than the M-1.0t. Sonically the TFM-24 has a little warmer sound. I like the TFM-24 a lot, but with expensive inefficient speakers the M-1.0t is by far my preference. The TFM-24 simply does not have as much power as the M-1.0t. This probabbly would not be as apparent with efficient speakers. The M-1.0t has a more laid back sound. Considering the type of speakers that I use the M-1.0t is my preference. By the way I use one Carver CT-Seven Pre Amp and split the output signal ( Left and Right Channels) to each of the above mentioned Amps. I use Precise Monitor 10 speakers for the front left and right speakers. I use Bose 501 for the rear left and right speakers. The Precise Monitor 10 speakers are much less efficient than the Bose 501 speakers. I have used both amps to each set of speakers to reach my opinion and conclusion. The M-1.0t sounds a little better with the Bose 501 speakers, and a lot better with the Precise Monitor 10 speakers.

Purchased At:   recieved as a fine g