Carver Audio A-760X
Description: 3800 watts

Submitted by Jesse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've been buying and selling '80s & '90s stereo equipment for over ten years and I have to say that this amplifier is truely amazing! It just belts out the music with an astonashing amount of depth and clarity unlike any other amplifier I've heard before. Not only is the sound so incredibly life like and full of emotion, it just keeps going louder and louder until I fear my klipsch forte 2s are going to go up into a puff of smoke! I was running a Parasound 2200 Mkii before this one and it sounds dead, flat in comparison. Sure the Parasound has a ton of power and lots of bass but the midrange and treble are lacking horribly next to the carver. The bass response on the carver is just as good if not better then the Parasound as well. Other notable amplifiers I've owned; Acurus 200x3, Acurus A200, Adcom 5800, Adcom 555 Mkii, Carver TFM-55, TFM-42, Yamaha M-85, M-80 just to name few and the A-760x easily blows them all away.

I'm sure there's a lot of audiophile snobs out there that wouldn't give this amp the time of day and I say good for them. If you're a budget audio enthusiast like me and don't have thousands to spend on an amplifier, this amp is awesome. Especially since they've been showing up lately for around $500. These were made in '97 so if you can find one that hasn't been abused you should be able to get upwards of another 10 years out of it before anything needs to be done to it.

Honestly I would give this a 6 star out of 5 if I could-- well worth the $500 I paid. I've already spent countless hours relistening to my music collection again. This amp has put warmth and emotion back into my system that has been missing for quite some time now.

Submitted by Johnsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Fantastic performance for its price, but did run hot and turn off every time I threw a party. Had to wait a little and then turn it on again, and then watch the volume a little so it would not happen again.

Purchased At:   hifihuset Norway

Submitted by Rick Price a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
You can already tell I'm a Carver enthusiast but this stuff really has historically always delivered more than it's price tag should've had the hubris to dare to. The truth is every time somebody,fearing for advertising revenue, backpedaled from listening based conclusions, Bob(or his hired guns,if only to throw off those that had personal vendettas against him) just went to the drawing board and started engineering them into silence. The only problem was it was a war of attrition.
To quote "Moses"(different movie though) "Damn you all to HELL!"(Professional audio reviewers that is). What does this have to do with the A-760? Plenty. It, along with the Lightstar gear, was part of the last, best generation of stuff and shares engineering DNA (if you will) with each other. A fair price at it's original $1500 Retail and stupid good at $800. Sold to dealers at that mark in a last ditch effort to stop the hemorraging. How do I know? I phoned the company and talked to what had to be the last two or three guys there as they were preparing their parachutes. Hope it was a soft landing. (Probably at Everette audio.)
One day I watched a friend's son bring over some overpriced detailless nightmare of a car subwoofer driver mounted in a home enclosure that was being elevated to "world beater" status by hordes of conceited deaf "megapuppies" and was told that "No amp can make this sub reach the endpoints of it's excursion." We put on Fennell's Trittico and the very first noise the thing made was that metallic "SPAAAACK" noise that I spend my life trying not to hear. Way too quick and transient to be clipping brothers and sisters. 160 amp mosfets will do that. Along with 120,000u + of Capacitors. I guess maybe Bob did learn a little something from those silver seven designs. If you see one for around my money BUY IT. If you don't like it e-mail me and I'LL buy it. I've been kicking my own butt for not buying 3 in '98.

Purchased At:   Sound City

Submitted by ed thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I finally got around to replacing my Parasound 1000A for driving my Legacy Classic speakers. Thought the extra power would be helpful. It was. I got more tuneful bass with little or no boom, but in addition the highs seemed more extended than before and the overall sound was cleaned up. At first I thought it might be just a little thinner, then I realized that an extra layer of something (not music) was missing. I also got rid of a hum. Too bad about the hum, because it (Parasound) is a very decent sounding amplifier all in all. I generally think that the speakers are mainly responsible for the sound stage, and I still think that, however the Carver has made subtle improvements to both the size (width and depth) and, more important to me, the solidity of it (soundstage). No more wondering musicians. As you can tell I am very happy with this amp. Are there better? Probably. But for the price that this unit is available on the used market and the power it has, don't see how you could do any better. I have not owned this amp for very long, so I am hesitant to write this report, but I am so pleased, I just wanted to share. I wish there was a way to come back and revise at a later date if I find problems. I am concerned about maintenance as I am pretty sure that Carver is no longer making amps for personal audio use.

Submitted by bruce lamb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Carver is driving Martin Logan Monolith III panels mounted in CLS IIz frames. A active crossover gives then 120 kHZ and above, bellow that to a Rotel 985 THX and Vaf DCX{vaf.com.au}.Before the Carver a Krell 300i in thouput mode was providing a sweet but slighty thin sound.If you could call 150W-8 ohmn [300W-4 ohmn] thin! The Carver revealed layers of sound that were only hinted at before.On City of Angles HDCD soundtrack Sarah McLachlan literaly breathes life into this recording.The reissue of Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" bounces the needles up to 180 and beyond,But what a sound!!I have found the synergy of the A-760X and power hungery Martin Logans well matched.When driven by Arcam Alpha 8SE HDCD and Audible Illusions Modulus 3; BLISS.Considering the price diference of the loverly baby Krell [About half asmuch again].Five stars baby!!