Bryston 14B SST
Description: <ul> <li>Available in both 240 Volt 10 Amp</li> <li>Over 100,000 MFD of filter capacitance per channel</li> <li>Selectable gain Normal Balanced</li> <li>Remote 12-Volt power trigger input</li> <li>Selectable external power-up</li> <li>Membrane power switch</li> </ul>

Submitted by Dilshad Feroze a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
If you are considering purchasing a high powered amplifier, try this one out next to the three, or even four, times more expensive, big named. Even though some of them might be easthetically droolworthy, you will be surprised at the sound this amplifier will produce. This truly is a great amplifier. Try it with 'Muse Electronics's Polyhymnia and you will be amazed at the sound.

Purchased At:   Dubai Audio Center

Submitted by RICKY009 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I must post this correction to the review i wrote regarding the Bryston 14B SST, Nov. 5, 2005.

In that review, I failed to proof-read it and made an error. I wrote that I own B&W 800C's. That is incorrect. I own B&W 801c's! Big difference. But I was correct when I said that the speaker has a 15 inch woofer. The 800's have two (2) 10 inch woofers, and are considered a better speaker. The Nautilus 800 is B&W's "top-of-the-line" Nautilus Speaker, next to the ground-breaking "Nautilus" Loudspeaker, which I have not seen except in a magazine.

finally, I am not employed by either Bryston or B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) and I do not sell them.

Submitted by RICKY009 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I HAVE OWNED THE 14B SST FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW. I ALSO HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO AUDITION SOME OTHER AMPS LIKE LEVINSON, ROTEL, BAT, AND OTHERS. SO FAR, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE 14 B. IT HAS ENOUGH POWER TO DRIVE MY PAIR OF B&W 800C SPEAKERS. THE 800's HAVE A 15" WOOFER AND CAN HANDLE UP TO 1000 WATTS! THEY NEED LOTS OF POWER. THE BRYSTON IS SUPERB. GOOD SOLID BASS. MIDRANGE IS GREAT AND THE HIGHS ARE CRISP. OF COURSE, B&W NOW PRODUCES THE D SERIES (DIAMOND TWEETERS) WHICH ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN C SERIES.
CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS AMP. STEREOPHILE MAGAZINE RATES IT CLASS A AND THE ABSOLUTE SOUND MAG GAVE IT A "GOLDEN EAR" AWARD A COUPLE YEARS AGO. THAT IS IMPRESSIVE, WHEN YOU READ THE OTHER AMPS THAT RECEIVE THESE AWARDS/RATINGS. SOME OF THE OTHER AMPS ARE PRICED OVER $20,000! I AM NOT GOING TO NAME THEM B/C LIST TOO LONG.
I WILL ADMIT, I HAVE BEEN TEMPTED TO PURCHASE A BAT AMP, HALCRO, LEVINSON, ETC, BUT CANNOT AFFORD THEM. FOR THE PRICE, THE 14B SST IS A STEAL. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO DESCRIBE WHAT I HEAR. THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES INVOLVED WITH HIGH-END AUDIO - INTERCONNECTS, POWER CORDS/CONDITIONERS, POWER SUPPLY FROM YOUR OUTLET, SPEAKER CABLES, CONES, SPIKES, ON AND ON AND ON. AND, I ALMOST FORGOT, YOUR ROOM! VERY IMPORTANT. WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS, TAKE THE UNIT HOME AND AUDITION IN YOUR LISTENING ROOM BEFORE BUYING. FOR EXAMPLE, SPEAKERS WILL SOUND DIFFERENT WHEN THE ROOM IS FILLED WITH OTHER SPEAKERS. THE SOUND, AT MID TO HIGH LEVELS WILL CAUSE THE OTHER SPEAKERS TO ACT AS PASSIVE SPEAKERS (CONES WILL VIBRATE AND SOUND WILL BE DIFFERENT IF THE OTHER SPEAKERS WERE NOT IN THE ROOM). NOT TO MENTION IF THERE ARE SUBS IN THE ROOM TOO, EVEN IF THEY ARE TURNED OFF.
RETAIL PRICE IS ABOUT $6000 OR SO, BUT I PURCHASED A "BRAND NEW", ACCORDING TO SELLER, 14B ON EBAY, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TRANSFERABLE 20 YEAR WARRANTY (UNIT IS WARRANTED FOR 20 YRS FROM DATE OF MANUFACTURE REGARDLESS HOW MANY TIMES IT IS SOLD, NOT STOLEN). THEREFORE, I CAN SHIP THE UNIT TO BRYSTON AND THEY WILL FIX IT IF NEED BE. MINE DID NOT NEED TO BE "FIXED." NOTE: YOU MUST PAY FOR SHIPPING TO THE FACTORY IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX AND BRYSTON PAYS TO RETURN IT TO YOU. BESIDES, IT DOES NOT HURT TO HAVE THE AMP THROWN AROUND A LITTLE TO ENSURE IT WAS SOLIDLY BUILT!
I CANNOT ARGUE WITH THE EDITORS OF STEREOPHILE AND THE ABSOLUTE SOUND. I WILL SAY THAT I DID PURCHASE THE AMP WITHOUT LISTENING TO IT FIRST, AT HOME! HOWEVER, I ALREADY HAD A 4B ST AT HOME AND I HAD A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT IT WOULD SOUND LIKE. THE 4B ST IS SUFFICIENT TO DRIVE THE B&W's, BUT AT LOUDER LISTENING LEVELS (>100 dBA) IT WOULD CLIP.
MY ROOM IS FAIRLY LARGE. IT IS 28 FT LONG BY 16 FT WIDE, BY ABOUT 7.5 FT HIGH. MY ROOM IS IN MY BASEMENT AND ALL EQUIPMENT IS SET ON THE FLOOR (CARPETED CONCRETE, WITH ALL UNITS SITTING ON SPARE WOOD PIECES WHICH I SCROUNGED). YOU CAN SPEND ALOT OF DOUGH ON AMP RACKS, PLATFORMS, WITH SPIKES, PUCKS, CONES, AND OTHER "VIBRATION CONTROL" ITEMS, BUT I FIGURED IT WAS UNNECESSARY B/C I HAD A CONCRETE FLOOR AND I ALREADY SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY!

HIGHLY RECOMENDED.