B&K Components  ST-1430
Description: 200w x 3 channels

Submitted by Heat a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is a very flexible amplifer, and is perfect for an existing 2 channel setup. The amp produces music/soundtracks with such clarity, dynamics, and sweetness. I though this was impossible for an amp this price.

Submitted by Charles Gurganus a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1998

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a new speaker system and I was using my Sony GSX800ES receiver (90 wpc front 30 rear) for power. My speakers consisited of the NHT VT1C (center), NHT VS1.2a (fronts), and NHT
HDP-1's for the rear, plus the Atlantic Technology 262 sub. I was very
unhappy with my results with this setup and even had a defective sub that had to be sent to get fixed. Once the sub was repared I experimented with low level and high level hookups. I decided my speakers sounded better using the high level inputs to the sub. But what I wasn't happy with was at high volumn levels things tended to sound very strained. I heard my sub distorting with the mid level and low level bass and was just very depressed about the whole thing. It sounded better than before I sent it back for repair but something still wasn't right. I knew the NHT's were inefficient but when I origionlly bought the NHT's I didn't think the sony would have any problems driving them. I was wrong! After debating for several weeks and looking at different solutions for my problem, I decided my best bet was to try a 3 channel amp to see if that cleaned things up sound wise. I had heard good things about the B&K amps and decided that their 105 watt 3 channel amp could push my system over the top, plus it would take stress off my Reciever and give me 110 watts to the rear to boot. This amp does the job great! My mid and low frequencies cleared up and even the high frequencies sound better with a better 3-d soundstage. I can now play my system loud without any degradation.
I figure I can always use this amp for my next upgrade to a dd/dts receiver or incorporate it into a seperates setup down the road.