B&K Components  Reference 200.7
Description: <ul> <li>High Power Output</li> <li>High Current Capability</li> <li>Toroidal Transformers</li> <li>Class A Pre-driver</li> </ul>

Submitted by texas ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
This was new old stock that I found on Ebay.I gave $1300 for it so I am very happy.It is pushing an all Polk Audio LSI system effortlessly.It can run warm,not hot when cranked up for music or ht use.It does both very well.It runs straight off of a 15 amp circuit with no issues.I am only using 5 of the 7 channels.I find it to be a neutral amp.It is not too foward and has tight controlled bass.I am very pleased with the performance to this point.This is my first experience with any B&K products and it is a good one.

Submitted by skibummsp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
I went from using a Denon AVR3802 reciever to using the B&K Reference 200.7 amplifier to power my 6.1 Klipsch Reference 7 setup (RF-7 mains, RC-7 front and rear, RS-7 sides, REL Storm III subwoofer). I am still using the Denon as a pre/pro for now (future upgrade is to get a "real" pre/pro).

The clarity and dynamics is unbelievable! The bass also have much more punch and authority, but very clean and tight. It is as though the speakers just opened right up and "let the music out!". Also, the sound is very smooth and clean. The MOSFET design of this amp seems to produce a warmer sound, which matches very well with the Klipsch speakers in my setup.

The high-current design of this amp (75 amps peak) along with 200 watts of power gives my sensitive Klipsch plenty of headroom. This can drive these speakers to insanely loud levels, but still maintain clarity and the dynamics, with no distortion whatsoever. At more reasonable levels, all of the details in the music, as come right out.

In movies, the dialogue is very clear and easy to understand. The various sound effects in many movies come out sounding extremely realistic with plenty of impact. It is as thought you are not just watching a movie, but you are actually EXPERIENCING the movie, as though you are right there in the middle of it! For example, after putting in Master and Commander, when those cannonballs started flying, I thought I was going to have to dive under my cocktail table! And in a movie such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the soundtrack comes out so majestic and powerful. The various battle scenes and so forth are just gotta be heard to be believed! Every "clang" of the swords, every "thwack" of arrows, comes though with stunning clarity. The rumbling of the horses is awesome to behold.

I've had this amp for a year and a half, and my Klipsch Reference 7 speakers for nearly 3 years, and to this day, I am still amazed and just how awesome this setup truly sounds.

Are there better amps out there? Most likely, but how much more are you going to have to pay? In this price range, I honostly think one would be hard-pressed to find anything else this good. I'll be willing to even put this up against more expensive units. Of course, one will have to listen to an amp to see how it works with thier particular speakers, but I know I'll be staying with my beloved B&K amp for a long time to come, as this seems to mate extremely well with my Klipsch speakers.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by ournewceleb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have used this now for about 2 months. I am currently using this amp to bi-map my two front speakers and my center channel speaker. The biamping has really opened up the soundstage. There was a noticlable improvement over when I was biamping with a rotel 125 wpc amp. Not sure if it the MOFSET design, but the sound quality seems more true to the music (more tube-like?) compared to my old Rotel.

Price Paid:    $1999.00